Not logged in

Forums

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)

Forums>StrategyQuant (formerly named Genetic Builder)>General Discussion>[How To] Tune SQ for max performance and reduce memory usage by 4 to 5 times

• #136270 |
    Customer
    601 Posts
    Customer
    86 Posts

Hi Geektrader

In your initial post you state Make sure that you do NOT have any other Java versions installed on your system since otherwise it will launch with the Zulu JVM but use the lib of your other Java installation which can lead to stability issues and lower performance. Does this mean that I should uninstall the Java 8 from Oracle that is already installed on my system?

Thanks

AC1962

Customer
    601 Posts

Hi AC,

this recommendation is obsolete, the latest Java versions don´t do this anymore. I´ve removed that from the initial post as well.

Customer
    86 Posts

Hi Geektrader

Great. Thanks for clearing that up.

AC1962

Customer
    105 Posts

…snip…

I have also implemented your recommended “replace the JVM from Oracle to the one from Zulu”. Though this is working fine, I have found that SQ launch and initial operation with Zulu is much slower than previously with Oracle. Though, within 10-20min SQ performance is back to being similar to Oracle. This happens upon ‘each’ launch of SQ, not just the 1st launch after PC boot-up. Is this to be expected with Zulu JVM?

…snip…

Hi AC, I was getting what you report – slower, sluggish SQ starting, and not noticeably faster. I even ran side by side instances of Zulu vs non-Zulu, and found the Zulu SQ instance tangibly slower (~100 genetic strategies in last generation every 3-4 hours slower, which really mounts up over a few days).

I back tracked, and worked through the Zulu installation guide again. This specifically seemed to make the difference for me. Maybe it’s just perception, as I haven’t rerun a side by side comparison (yet), but it seems faster now. Also, it’s no longer sluggish when SQ starts.

You can verify Zulu is running by following this (do it from CMD in the run window, so you can read it). I also found that out as working through the Zulu instructions.

Also to say thanks Geektrader.

Customer
    86 Posts

Hi _Cujo

Thanks for your suggestion, which I have now tried out. However this change to the environment variable setup makes no difference to the performance of SQ with Zulu-9 JVM on my PC. SQ start-up is equally as slow for me, whether I select ‘Zulu-9’ or ‘Oracle’ as the default Java installation path.

Thanks again

AC1962

Customer
    105 Posts

Hi _Cujo

Thanks for your suggestion, which I have now tried out. However this change to the environment variable setup makes no difference to the performance of SQ with Zulu-9 JVM on my PC. SQ start-up is equally as slow for me, whether I select ‘Zulu-9’ or ‘Oracle’ as the default Java installation path.

Thanks again

AC1962

Sorry it didn’t work out for you. Mine works great now, must be something else with yours (clearly). Good luck identifying it!

Customer
    905 Posts

Hi,

I’m only just looking at using the Zulu JVM, thank’s for you effort Geektrader.

Question – Do I download the Client or Server files for Windows?

EDIT – Okay stoopid question. Please ignore.

Cheers,

Mike

Customer
    734 Posts

For anybody: Look here for more info from Geektrader. It includes latest working Zulu and installation instructions along with some additional info.

https://strategyquant.com/forum/topic/4330-java-9-ea-build-105-won%C2%B4t-work-anymore-with-sq-381-nor-quantanalyzer/

Customer
    16 Posts

Hello to all,

I have a xeon processor E5 1660 v3 running on windows 7,

the processor utilization never goes over 20%.

I set SQ to use 16 threads, and also using this tune does not go better.

Do you have any advice?

Hi Veone,

I had the same Problem with a dual Xeon 2630v4 with Windows Server 2012.

I run 7 Instances with 16 therads each and got only about 50% of cpu usage and a cpu clock-speed of only 1.2 GHz (2,4 is max).

I found out, that I had to disable all of the energy saving features.

In Windows 2012 Server you can do using the command-line:

cmd.exe

Powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_min sub_processor PERFBOOSTMODE 1
    Powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_min sub_processor PROCTHROTTLEMIN 100
    Powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_min sub_processor CPMINCORES 100
    Powercfg -setactive scheme_min

After this commands I have nearly 100% cpu-usage and a full cpu-clock.

PK

Customer
    29 Posts

Hello 

Is there more opportunities to speed up SQ

Customer
    42 Posts

In some cases when I run WFM the memory spikes at the end around 15000 runs and the process freezes and stops.

I tried allocating as much RAM as I can (6 GB). It’s not much but WFM has worked without problem with most strategies.

(I bought 8 GB extra RAM but the screw heads for opening my laptop are stripped so can’t install it XD  Will continue to try methods from wikihow :P)

Any tips software-wise?

Customer
    324 Posts

@GACKT

Just could run different settings for WFM individually to lower the amount of Iterations done. Or get a small drill bit and drill the stripped screws away..

Or lower the amount of cores in use for WFM could do it as well.

Customer
    1 Posts

Hi,

I am using SQ along with the Zulu Java Version 9.0.0.2. and the extended command line.

The strategy building process itself is working fast and smooth, but starting SQ and navigating within the program became very slow and sticky.

I am using it both on my VPS Windows Server 2008R2 (8GB RAM, Intel Xeon E5-2620) and my Windows 10 pro Notebook (8GB RAM, Intel i7-6500U), and both systems show this behaviour.

Does anyone have an idea, how to fix it ?

Thanks, Oliver

Customer
    197 Posts

Hello Oliver,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have same issue with W7/Intel. No idea how to fix this. It is not significantly slow for me, however visibly slower than without Zulu.

Regards

m

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.