What were you thinking when decided to use Java?

7 replies

gin

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 88 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260169

why not C++?

Java is so buggy and slow…

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260185

Hi,

one important benefit Java offers is that it is platform-independent. Once compiled it can be executed on any platform. Since we want to support Win + Linux/Mac eventually we need this

gin

Visit profile

3 years ago #260238

who uses linux? 1% sys admins, not traders

who uses MacOS? 5% snowflake brainwashed liberals who study social gender studies, not traders

gin

Visit profile

3 years ago #260239

can SQ run on Ubuntu now?

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260300

who uses linux? 1% sys admins, not traders who uses MacOS? 5% snowflake brainwashed liberals who study social gender studies, not traders

Hilarious, couldn´t stop laughing about the Apple users comment, haha!

That being said, Java is not really slower than C++, especially the runtime optimizing compiler can and does make it much faster than precompiled C++ code. Additionally, you can switch the JRE however you like, like for example the GraalVM (see Forum) which gives a great performance boost too.

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260330

this are really unconstructive a spam posts  everything was said here not one time. use search function pls next time

Insanity82007

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 30 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260378

who uses linux? 1% sys admins, not traders who uses MacOS? 5% snowflake brainwashed liberals who study social gender studies, not traders

ROFL!! Apple user quote of the century

Enyx

Subscriber, customer, community, bbp_participant, 19 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #261693

I couldn’t stand myself to respond..

Disclaimer: I develop for SQ but I am not affiliated with the company. This is my personal opinion.

1) I believe, the decision to use Java was at the time/and still is the best decisions. Indeed it was of my reasons why i started to use SQ. We are living a convergent world already.

What would be better ?

C/C++ – Yes, ultimate winner on performance (indeed depends) but you would pay 10x price for this product as it’s bloody expensive to develop and maintain it. Do not forget you need an extendable platform. Do you want your snippets developed in C/C++, import DLLs, some funky integration,effort to bring you library.. (I do C/C++..)

.NET – Indeed an excellent platform but you are locked into Windows hell.. or.. you want to play with Mono as multi platform choice ? What’s the conceptual difference from Java then ? If you like .NET use FSB.

Scriptable languages – I will not even comment this ones.. BUT I would be happy to see a scripting engine inside SQ able to use this. Feel free to step in and develop it.

Since I do not like empty words. Yes I have embedded my own JavaScript interpreter.. How was that possible? Java has a very large ecosystem. You pick what you want and integrated it as it’s JAVA.

Go ? – An excellent (almost) multi-platform language (I do that too). Uh.. I love it but not for such products.

2) Java is multi-platform. it’s the reality sorry. If you have a free Cray running java then probably you would be able run SQ. Yes I had my own private Linux port.. And it was possible since SQ was on Java.

That’s the freedom of choice, sorry..

3) If would like Windows use it but please do not categorize other users on different platforms. If you do a serious staff then probably you are out of Windows Eco-system..

I use both Window and different UNIX flavours (incl Linux) on a daily basis. I am using/developing for Windows since 3.0/NT 3.51 era.  Every platform has it’s own strengths and drawbacks. All of them. No exceptions.

Do NOT forget SQ is (mostly) a simulation software. There is a fundamental difference between simulation and trade execution.

JAVA is a very good choice. But I do see some challenges like NUMA memory affinity which of course can be fixed.

Please do not judge. Your mile always varies.

Cheers!

Enyx

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)