BUG: Order not modified with SL/TP

2 replies

huangwh88

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 113 replies.

Visit profile

3 months ago #285050

Hi,

In general, SQ EAs open the order without SL/TP, then immediately modify the order with SL/TP. Under the Expert/Journal tab, there are separate lines for order opening and modification.

However, there are rare instances where the order is opened but NOT modified, leaving SL and TP at 0. This is a potentially hazardous situation where trades are left hanging. I have experienced this on multiple SQ strategies (without custom templates, just default generation), so I believe this is an issue with the default order management code.

A forum search reveals this issue has been present for at least 7 years, without a conclusive fix. Has anyone/developers understood why this happens?

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

3 months ago #285166

Hi,

do you mean it happens to all strategies you use? Can you share some strategy for us to check? You can also append links related to the issue if you believe it to be the same

huangwh88

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 113 replies.

Visit profile

3 months ago #285172

Hi, do you mean it happens to all strategies you use? Can you share some strategy for us to check? You can also append links related to the issue if you believe it to be the same

Hi Tomas,

I think my issue is similar to the one here:

https://strategyquant.com/forum/topic/bug-sometimes-atr-based-sltp-wont-set-by-the-ea-and-stays-as-0-00000/

Like Karish mentioned in the thread above, this problem MAY be specific to ATR-based SL/TP. All my affected strategies happen to use ATR SL/TP.

I also did some journal digging and my MT4 was experiencing connectivity issues when the problematic orders were placed. I got several [trade timeout] errors, meaning the orders may have been incorrectly/not processed by the broker server, explaining why the order modification was missing.

So to be fair, this may be caused by hardware issues. I will lower my VPS load and update here if the issue persists.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)