SQX v135 – SQX Crashing – Windows 11

15 replies

AC1962

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 97 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #277397

Hi SQX Forum

I originally posted this item back in Feb as Bug Report: sq4_8651, but no response to date. Maybe someone can help on this forum.

I have expereienced SQX v135 crashing, without any warning, sometimes after a few days of running, and othertimes within minutes of running. This started to happen back in Feb 2022 and I suspect may be related to a Windows 11 update, back in Feb.
Of my 2x PC’s:
– 1x was new back in Jan 2022 and came with Windows 11 pre-installed. SQX was running, without probelm, on this PC until early Feb.
– The other PC is much older and SQX has running fine on Windows 10 for years, until it was upgraded to Windows 11 in early Feb 2022.
On 2x occassions I witnessed SQX crash in front of me. It was as if SQX was instantly shutdown: no warning, no slow-down, SQX window just closed in an instant.
Currently, over a 1 week period, SQX crashes ~3-4x per week, on both PCs. Otherwise both PCs seem to be operating fine with other software.
Have other SQX users experienxced similar probelms with Windows 11?
Please can anyone advise what can be done to resolve this probelm?
Thanks
AC1962

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #277424

Hello,

we do not have similar reports to this so far. What you could try is to activate the debug level logging and send us (or better attach into the roadmap task zipped) so we could try to analyze what preceded the crash

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

AC1962

Visit profile

2 years ago #277427

Hi Tomas

Great, thanks! Will return info requested following next crash event.

Thanks

AC1962

AC1962

Visit profile

2 years ago #277429

Hi Tomas

SQX crashed again, a few hours after setting-up debug level logging. However zipped log file is 3.8GB (original 2x log files are massive at total 73.7GB), much larger than the forum / roadmap “Max size 5MB” limit. Please confirm how I should upload this 3.8GB zipped log file to you?

Thanks

AC1962

PDI

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 17 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #277495

Hi all, I can acknowledge above problem – I have the same. (Ryzen 5950 / 64 GB Ram). Ram is not 10 % full and in very irregular time slots SQX (135.868) crashes on Win11. Sometime after 8 hours – next time after only 2 mins.
And the same as for AC1962: On many occassions I witnessed SQX crash in front of me. It was as if SQX was instantly shutdown: no warning, no slow-down, SQX window just closed in an instant.

Shall I also send a log or is one enough?

Thank you,

Patrick

PDI

Visit profile

2 years ago #277539

Hi, sorry, me again. The problem is getting worse by the day it seems. Yesterday SQX crashed around 5 times – today it’s not working at all doing WFM with 20k optimizations (yesterday it was “normal” testing like “another market”, slippage, etc).

Can anybody please give some recommendations?

Thank you,

Patrick

PDI

Visit profile

2 years ago #277564

Me again – one step closer to the solution: It seems like a DDR4-Bank was defective – at least the memory diagnostic tool said so. I changed this bank – let’s see, what happens. Keep you posted.

AC1962

Visit profile

2 years ago #277565

Hi Tomas

Just chasing-up response on my previous message: Please confirm how I should upload 3.8GB zipped log file to you?

Hi Patrick

The frequency of SQX crashing has generally stayed static for me, since first occured in early Feb: typically 3-4x crashes per week on each of my 2x PC’s. As SQX on both my PC’s are acting the same, and one PC was brand new in Jan, I doubt my issue has anything to do with my defective RAM, but I will test this weekend and see. Thanks for tip!

I have mostly just put-up with it, waiting on support from SQ. I have attempted a few ideas, but both PC installations of SQX have been crashing on me, every week since Feb.

Both my PC’s have 48Gb of RAM (DDR4; DDR5) installed, with SQX Configuration set to Max Memory = 40Gb, though usuage rarely exceeds 30Gb during each week.

Thanks

AC1962

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #277570

for the operating system part, the best option is to use Windows Server, not Windows 10 or 11. Its by far the most stable in 24/24 scenarios.
its completely understandable that if most laptops or old desktops come with preinstalled desktop home editions of windows, its easier to keep that but i would recommend installing server editions

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

AC1962

Visit profile

2 years ago #277572

Hi Ivan

Thanks for your comment. SQX has worked fine for me for many years on Windows 10, 24hrs continuous 7days a week, and did initially also run fine on Windows 11. Only since early Feb have I experienced any problem with SQX on Windows 11. If absoluely necessary I may consider reverting back to Windows 10, though clearly moving forward SQX needs to work, without crashing, on Windows 11.

Thanks

AC1962

AC1962

Visit profile

2 years ago #277574

Hi Tomas

Following Patrick’s comment, I have today also run Windows Memory Diagnostic tool on both my SQX PC’s, each returning message “No memory errors were detected”. Indicating that the 48Gb of RAM (DDR4; DDR5) in both my PC’s is working fine.

Thanks

AC1962

AC1962

Visit profile

1 year ago #277846

Hi Tomas/Mark

It has now been 12 weeks since I first posted Bug Report: sq4_8651, reporting “SQX v135 – SQX Crashing – Windows 11”, with very little concrete response from the SQ team to date.

I have created a debug level log file, as requested 3 weeks ago, but am still waiting instruction from SQ on how I can send this file to SQ, as it is much larger than the forum / roadmap “Max size 5MB” limit. These files are also too large for me to locally open in a text editer, so I am also unable to create a 5Mb excerpt of the log to sent; just prior to crash event.

I do not feel that SQ are currently providing me the level of ‘lifetime’ support promised to all SQ Ultimate users. Please can you provide support, in helping resolve this persitent SQ Crashing issue, asap.

Thanks

AC1962

PDI

Visit profile

1 year ago #277986

Hi AC1962,

just an update from my side: Since I changed my memory 2 weeks ago, I no longer faced any issues. PC on Win11 is up and running smooth and without interruptions on SQ side since 2 Weeks.

I you have several memory banks; how about taking first one than another out and check whether the behaviour changes?

Patrick

AC1962

Visit profile

1 year ago #278018

Hi Patrick

Thanks! I will try out your suggestion, over the next week or two, on my PC-1; that SQX crashes most frequently on. I will post my findings.

I seem to have significantly improved SQX crash preformance on my PC-2 (no crash for 2 weeks), by disabling a Memory Cleaner utility; previously recommended on forum for SQX (otherwise a great little program). Though disabling same Memory Cleaner utility had little impact in reducing SQX crashes on my PC-1.

Thanks AC1962

Gurvinder Sethi

Subscriber, customer, community, bbp_participant, sq-ultimate, 3 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #280622

It’s been 6 months of using Windows 11 and I’ve more or less given up using SQ as it keeps crashing. Thsi morning I thought I’d give it another chance and while I had the opening screen, I had to do something else onChrome and it crashed in the background without even starting a process, wtf!

Seems the more new updates there are the more unreliable the application is getting. I had at first gone back to Windows 10 and it only crashed on heavy processing but I have fully switched to Win 11 and all other apps working fine except this one!!

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #280632

Gurvinder,

we would like to test this more to discover source of issue. Can you share your build / project config you run before the crash? Or is it unrelated to the config used? The tests in Windows 11 so far went well.

You can let us know to [email protected] as well if you want to send us the latest logs from the SQX folder /user/log/strategyquant

We could also do a quick remote check to find out what is going on …

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)