Understanding “Pips” for Futures

3 replies

Kris Katona

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 9 replies.

Visit profile

4 months ago #284810

I’m trying to run SQ for @CL futures. When choosing the Stoploss configuration on the What to build screen, I decided that Stoploss should be between 100 and 400 pips. I suppose 1 pip is equal to 1 tick (futures terminology). After this, my expectation is that a stop loss should be a minimum of 1000 USD for this strategy.

When I generate strategies with these settings, I get multiple tiny stop-loss values in the List of Trades, such as $195, $350, etc… How is this calculated hence 1 tick = $10 for CL futures?

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

4 months ago #284812

Hi,

for futures the term “pip” is replaced by “tick”. So for the CL contract it will be 1 cent 0.01 for both “step” and “size”

Kris Katona

Visit profile

4 months ago #284820

Thanks for confirming it Tomas. So, my settings are correct in Data Manager. My problem is that SQ miscalculates trade PnL with these settings.

For example, if a contract was sold at 95.13 and bought back at 94.42, SQ will display a $71 PnL. I think it should be $710 instead.

What am I missing?

Kris Katona

Visit profile

4 months ago #284821

I think I found the answer. The default trade size is 0.1, so the calculation is correct even though it may not make sense for Futures.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)