Total profit shown in Quant Analyzer different to that shown in MT4 report

30 replies

fourtytwo

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 6 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #114008

Hi! I’m new to Quant Analyzer, apologies if this question has a simple answer:

When I load the MT4 report (.htm) in to Quant Analyzer, Total Profit, Gross Profit, Gross Loss, they’re all out by a few cents (e.g. MT4 Gross Profit 198.79, Quant Analyzer Gross Profit 198.96). I can’t figure out why these numbers should not match up?

Thanks,

Armin

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #133697

daveM, I just tested with generated MT5 report and I have a exact match. Can you upload your report so we can check?

siolibros

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 28 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134423

Hello guys
Before writing here I already checked on forum if someone faced my same issue on QuantAnalyzer4 , and it seems it does not.

Well, I just downloaded the QuantAnalyzer4 and loaded a metatrader4 htm report file.
Drawdown and #trades are really much different.
I already tried with other mt4 reports, the situation is always the same.

Please watch immagine1.gif
It shows the original strategy tester report from the backtest of my EA, drawdown 221$ and 1970trades

Now please watch immagine2.gif
It shows the same original strategy tester report loaded into QuantAnalyzer4 trial
It clearly shows a different drawdown 746$  and different trades  2956

The profit is the same for both, mt4 report and    report loaded into QA.

In attach zipped file of the original report in htm format

Can someone please dig into that, because this issue cannot let me use Portfolio Master to test the Quant Analyzer?

many thanks

Tamas

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 73 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134424

Hello siolibros,

the attached report contains a lot of zero trades which are computed into the total number of trades.

Use “What if” functionality to remove them from the report.

See how to use “What if” in the link bellow

https://strategyquant.com/doc/article/analyzing-and-improving-your-strategies-using-what-if-scenarios.html

DD issue

Switch to the Analyze tab -> Equity chart and display DD chart.

It will answer your question 🙂

Best regards,

Tomas

siolibros

Visit profile

8 years ago #134447

Hi Tamas/Tomas

thanks for reply.

I used “what if” and solve my issue with “zero trades”, thanks.

About DD, I still don’t understand how to get/watch the real drawdown.

In order to be sure about the DD calculation from mt4, I added to my EA a feature that calculates  tick by tick the max drawdown, and it is the same shown in mt4 strategy report.  So the calc of DD from mt4 is correct twice.

So, for immagine1.gif the real drawdown is 221 usd  (shown in mt4 report)    and not 746 usd (shown in QA)

How to get the same 221 usd DD in QA?

thanks

Patrick

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 424 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134474

Hi Tamas/Tomas

thanks for reply.

I used “what if” and solve my issue with “zero trades”, thanks.

About DD, I still don’t understand how to get/watch the real drawdown.

In order to be sure about the DD calculation from mt4, I added to my EA a feature that calculates  tick by tick the max drawdown, and it is the same shown in mt4 strategy report.  So the calc of DD from mt4 is correct twice.

So, for immagine1.gif the real drawdown is 221 usd  (shown in mt4 report)    and not 746 usd (shown in QA)

How to get the same 221 usd DD in QA?

thanks

Hi,

if you check MT4 report, you can see consecutive loss (1) -746$ —this can be the DD shown in QA4. 

DD can be shown in Equity chart, check attached pic.

Patrik

@Tomas262 — this means DD in MT4 is not counted correctly?

siolibros

Visit profile

8 years ago #134485

Hi Guys
this EA is a grid system that closes a basket of trades at the same moment, when the basket reaches its break even point.
The basket will close with LIFO order, from the biggest (newest) trade to the smallest (oldest) trade.

So it’s totally wrong to consider the single trade drawdown as max entire drawdown of the backtest.

I totally confirm that 221 usd MT4 drawdown is the real drawdown, indicating as the biggest difference between balance and net equity.

I verified the drawdown  using a routine “calculated every tick” that calculates  tick by tick the max drawdown, and it is the same shown in mt4 strategy report. 
The calc is balance less net equity for each tick.

Have a look to this MYFXBOOK Link
It shows the same strategy.

The DD shown is again 0.22%, that means 221 usd.
and not 746 usd, shown from QA.
(and trades shown are directly 1970, and not 2956)

Both Metatrader4 and Myfxbook show the correct DD and #trades.
Why QA does not by default?

I kindly suggest you to set as default 
“don’t show zero trades” and to calculate by default the right DD.

I think the issue is not on my side…

Patrick

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 424 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134486

The issue with remove zero trades is resolved, this is not the problem, there is an option in QA to do this.

Problem with the DD is, that when you start trading and you get the DD ( -746$) before the profits, it becomes entire DD of backtest. When you are sure the DD will NEVER come before the profits, but always after it, then you can rely on MT4 DD. But are you sure?

tomas262

Visit profile

8 years ago #134499

I think QA evaluates 746 loss made on 5th July 2015 as the biggest DD which then corresponds

tomas262

Visit profile

8 years ago #134500

MetaTrader might be evaluating ‘parallel positions’ and determine current total drawdown differently while QA just crunches through closed profits and loses as they come and go and that’s where the difference occurs.

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134501

MetaTrader might be evaluating ‘parallel positions’ and determine current total drawdown differently while QA just crunches through closed profits and loses as they come and go and that’s where the difference occurs.

MetaTrader considers open trade drawdown, since it knows tick by tick the pricing and the unrealised profit and loss of any open trades.

QA only has the closed profit and loss of closed trades to work with (no historical price ticks) and therefore works with closed drawdown.

Very different things…

siolibros

Visit profile

8 years ago #134503

Hi Guys

it’s clear that QA   uses incorrect formula to calculate drawdown

We can say QA calculates the worst single losing trades, that does not mean absolutely   the correct drawdown!!

QA does not consider that before closing that losing trade, my EA just closed a winner trade, bigger than the subsequent losing one.

Say my basket has:

trade A  in profit for 800 usd

trade B  in loss for -746  usd

at this moment my Ea, reached its breakeven, closes the basket ( trades A & B  )

The right DD is 54 usd.   NOT 746 as calculated from QA. 

QA seems not be able to correcly calculate the DD for system based on grid basket of multiple opened trades.

Who needs this kind of uncorrect formula??

I kindly ask again to Programmers to consider to update and correct the right calculation of the DD formula.

If portfolio engine considers the DD only the worst single losing trades,  all grid systems will always show totally wrong DD.

That’s the situation!

Mark Fric

Visit profile

8 years ago #134507

what you say is partly true, QA really computes drawdown by individual trades as they follow each other.

In your case multiple trades are closed at exactly the same time. The problem is that with the computation you suggest there is no drawdown at all, because by your definition basket of trades is closed when it is in total profit. 

We tried to make a formula that computes the drawdown, but then it compute 0 drawdown every time.

The 221 value for drawdown displayed by MetaTrader is computed using the tick-by-tick knowledge of open drawdown that is available during backtesting, something we don’t see in the final strategy report.

As I checked, Myfxbook simply copies the number fro the report, it doesn’t compute the drawdown itself.

But we are working on something that should enable us to display open profit and loss in QA as well, we’ll see if we’ll succeed with it.

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

siolibros

Visit profile

8 years ago #134508

Hi

thanks for your honestly and clear reply.

I don’t think to be the one to use grid systems

So I think to speak for many traders, not only for my own.

There are a lot of grid trading courses over internet, and a lot of systems based on that grid logic.

The most famous free grid system is BLESSING from jtatoday, it has thousands of users

We’ll be very happy to buy your product when you will code the correct DD calculation for grid system

thankssssss

luca

daveM

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, customer, sq-ultimate, 110 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134515

There are a few areas in the program that are deficient and for some reason those problems are never addressed.

Certainly these errors need to be dealt with but for some reason the developer is reluctant to make the necessary changes.

Tamas

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 73 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134517

Hello daveM,

could you please be more exactly what do you mean by “There are a few areas in the program that are deficient“?

All the tasks reported in the forum, support email or in the task system are already fixed in the new version which will be released hopefully this week.

Best regards,

Tomas

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

1 2