Not logged in
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums>StrategyQuant>Application Support>SQ shutdown with data loss during Windows update

• #256169 |
    Participant
    2 Posts

During Windows 10 Update StrategyQuant is closed forcedly. Seems that Windows does not ask StrategyQuant for a permission to close it as it doesn’t block the shutdown process like Notepad does it with any unsaved file open. The last time I had a decrease – loss – of randomly generated strategies from 463 to 343 despite I have activated databank auto sync every 30 minutes (i am not sure, if this works correctly tough).

I know that Windows updates can be paused for 1 month at maximum but it is an unconventient solution to have to take care about Windows updates every month.

I also recently bought an UPS which is able to signal the computer to shut down. Problem is, that StrategyQuant will also be closed forcedly by a Windows shutdown. It is possible to execute some script before shutdown but by using e.g.

taskkill /IM StrategyQuantX_nocheck.exe

StrateqyQuant opens a dialog after command execution if it shall be closed. I cannot use the /F (force) option as this will kill StrategyQuant immediately letting it no chance to store its current (database) state.

My questions:

1. How can I check that the results database is auto synced correctly (i.e. where are the strategies stored)?
    2. Is it possible to deactivate the user exit confirmation (maybe in the settings in a future version of StrategyQuant)?
    3. Does anyone know any other strategy to safely close StrategyQuant by a command?
    Tomas Vanek
    Administrator
    9 Posts

Hello,

I understand to your problem.

here are answears to your questions:

1) strategies are stored in C:\StrategyQuant/user/project/builder/databanks

2) We will be think about this problem and we will improve protection front of data loss

3) SQ X will be possible safely close by command in next releases

ivan
    Participant
    223 Posts

in my personal view, Windows Server is more apropriate for an SQ generating computer than the ordinary Windows desktop

Timisoara, Romania
    3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

ivan
    Participant
    223 Posts

regarding maintenance, as any other piece of electronics or a car, once every 30 days or in special cases, 60 days, the computer must be maintained, software and hardware. For example, i use to shut it down every 30 – 40 days, clean the filters, hardware check and software update including BIOS updates (if its the case).

Between the maintenance schedules, i dont have to worry for any unexpected shut downs or restarts

Timisoara, Romania
    3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.