Not logged in

Forums

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • #180293 | Reply
    Participant
    12 Posts

Hi.

I have two general questions regarding the Strategy Editor and couldn’t find a clear answer. The SQ3 user guide I downloaded and read just mentions it but doesn’t provide any insight.

1) Can I formulate my own strategies in SQ3 or am I limited to generic (i.e. random) strategy generation?
    2) Assumed the answer to (1) is “yes”: Can I use the improver and optimizer to work with my self-written strategies? Can I analyze test results from such strategies.
    3 ) Again assumed the answer to (1) is “yes”: What are the limitations regarding self-written startegies? What can I do in SQ3 with generated strategies I can’t do with self-written ones?

Background info: Generic generation sounds nice but I don’t see how I can “point” SQ in direction of my believed edge. If I think I have a strategy with an edge I would like SQ3 to work with it. I don’t want to be limited to random strategies. So, the question is not if I can use custom indicators (to which the answer I know). The question is whether or not I can work with custom strategies.

Thank you.

#183466 Reply
    Administrator
    348 Posts

Hello,

in the current version 3 you are bit limited with what you can do in the strategy editor. That is way we are extending new StrategyQuant 4 with Wizard editor so you will not be limited as you are now

#184120 Reply
    Participant
    12 Posts

Thank you for having a look at my post. Could you please be a bit more specific (no pun intended) and answer my questions?
    Thank you

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Falco.
    #184731 Reply
    Customer
    356 Posts

Hi.
    I have two general questions regarding the Strategy Editor and couldn’t find a clear answer. The SQ3 user guide I downloaded and read just mentions it but doesn’t provide any insight.
    1) Can I formulate my own strategies in SQ3 or am I limited to generic (i.e. random) strategy generation?
    2) Assumed the answer to (1) is “yes”: Can I use the improver and optimizer to work with my self-written strategies? Can I analyze test results from such strategies.
    3 ) Again assumed the answer to (1) is “yes”: What are the limitations regarding self-written startegies? What can I do in SQ3 with generated strategies I can’t do with self-written ones?
    Background info: Generic generation sounds nice but I don’t see how I can “point” SQ in direction of my believed edge. If I think I have a strategy with an edge I would like SQ3 to work with it. I don’t want to be limited to random strategies. So, the question is not if I can use custom indicators (to which the answer I know). The question is whether or not I can work with custom strategies.
    Thank you.

1. Yes you can create your own strategies in SQ3. See “create strategy” beneath the menu bar at the top of SQ3.

2. Yes you can.

3. The main limitations are the strategies manually created in SQ3 are limited by the number of building block available. EA Wizard has a lot more flexibility for developing this type of strategy but one cannot import the EA Wizard strategies into SQ3 for further analysis. “What can I do in SQ3 with generated strategies I can’t do with self-written ones?” Nothing that I am aware.

Background info: one approach is to manually create strategies that have your edge then use these strategies as the initial genetic population. The GA will then potentially improve on your strategies whilst using them as a starting point.

I hope this addresses all your concerns.
    Notch

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  notch.

Still trying to import FXBlue statements into QA after 2 years!

#184872 Reply
    Participant
    12 Posts

Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Strategy Editor in SQ3?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: