Pyramiding positions

5 replies

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #114624

Hi,

I’ve been looking at the maths behind pyramiding postions (adding equal lots to more positions, whilst moving stop loss).

Seems to increase reward for trend following systems whilst minimizing risk.

See https://dailypriceaction.com/free-trading-lessons/pyramid-trading-strategy-double-your-profit-potential

mechanics-of-pyramid-trading1.jpg

Let’â„¢s take a look at the best and worst case scenarios for each step of this trade.

First block of 40,000 units

Worst case: 2% loss

Best case: 12% profit

Second block of 40,000 units

Worst case scenario: Break-even (+2% from the first block and -2% from the second)

Best case scenario: 20% profit (+12% from the first block and +8% from the second)

Third and final block of 40,000 units

Worst case scenario: 6% profit (+6% from the first block, +2% from the second and -2% from the third)

Best case scenario: 24% profit (+12% from the first block, +8% from the second and +4% from the third)

As you can see from the figures above, the worst case scenario at any point in the trade is a 2% loss, while the best case scenario is a 24% profit. This makes pyramid trading not only extremely profitable, but vastly more favorable compared to most other trading strategies out there.

Seems to make mathematical sense.  Unfortunately with SQ we cannot produce this effect as it only ever opens one trade at a time.

Any thoughts?  Is this something SQ4 can handle?

Thanks,

Mike

Karish

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 443 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134791

wow great thing if SQ4 would implement this thing :), multi orders is always a great idea i hope there will be a possibility to make this thing.

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134793

Easy to do in EA Wizard, this IMO requires a human hand/design. I do this discretionary trading, its far too elegant for brutish auto-generated strategies, needs sophisticated signals. Again, EA Wizard, if you know the setups/signals, easily can do this.

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134801

I have several systems that use pyramiding and while the profit usual goes overall down compared to if the system would use a single order for each entry, the return/dd ratio increases (and hence it is more profitable since you can just increase risk per trade for the decreased overall profit and still have a better system) as well as does the smoothness of the equity curve. So I also hope SQ4 can support this, in the way that we can specify something like “max orders” when generating strategies, just like we can for the stop loss etc.

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

John Kodji

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 1 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #278025

Hi.. could you give a demo on how you do it in algo wizard..

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #278032

Hi, you might find the AlgoWizard introductory course useful to make this work https://algowizard.io/algowizard-introductory-course/

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)