Multiple EA’s in single account

6 replies

Puller

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 28 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #115145

Hi

I’m looking for a bit of advice / find out what others are doing.

Over time, I have generated a lot of strategies which I would like to run in a live account – creating several live accounts becomes cumbersome as there are so many accounts to manage, and so many different MT4 instances to run on a single machine, alternatively, running all the EA’s in a single account would cause a lot of risk because there are so many strategies which open trades at very similar levels.

These EA’s would all be for EURUSD and GBPUSD so a lot of similarity. One of my accounts already runs 50 EA’s but I have had to make the risk very low on each of them (0.25% on each trade). I have around 100 or so more EA’s I want to run live.

What have you guys done to get around this ‘problem’?

Many different accounts?

One account with several EA’s all running low risk?

Any other options?

Thanks in advance

Leon

large.jpg

New investors wanted!

See  https://goo.gl/WnlJoN  for details.

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137110

I’d be surprised if you have some many EA’s on each currency that are not correlated with each other.  My solution is to run the portfolio builder in QA and reduce the number of EA’s per currency, by limiting correlation to a low number.

Puller

Visit profile

7 years ago #137111

Thanks – no, they are DEFINITELY correlated. I’m slowly going through them and checking which ones are very similar in terms of the levels they will place orders at and getting rid of those. Not looked at the portfolio builder, so I’ll take a look, thanks.

large.jpg

New investors wanted!

Puller

Visit profile

7 years ago #137112

@mikeyc how many EURUSD / GBPUSD EA’s (max) would you run in a single account?

large.jpg

New investors wanted!

mikeyc

Visit profile

7 years ago #137115

@mikeyc how many EURUSD / GBPUSD EA’s (max) would you run in a single account?

Depends on account size versus minimum lots size, leverage and also if broker charges margin for hedged trades on same currency.  You need to consider open drawdown, something which SQ chooses to ignore.  Becomes significant when trading a portfolio, as does margin for opposing trades.

GACKT

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 37 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137556

(Removed in retrospect because it was an embarrassing beginner question and didn’t add any value, haha)

mikeyc

Visit profile

7 years ago #137557

Isn’t “Drawdown” in SQ the maximum open drawdown a strat or portfolio reaches since SQ shows the equity curve?

No, SQ does not consider open trade drawdown (unrealised profit or loss).  All drawdown calculations in SQ are using closed trade drawdown (i.e. trade losses from completed trades). 

The only clue in SQ to open trade drawdown, is if you look at the trade list for a strategy, and sort on MAE.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)