Servers Rents

22 replies

gentmat

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 234 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #115328

Which Website you guys rent servers from ? 

Karish

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 443 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #138225

Cheaper then them and all the community will come to you, i will be your first customer

https://contabo.com/?show=servers

they are the cheapest you would find out there thats 4sure, if you will be cheaper then them, well…..

gentmat

Visit profile

7 years ago #138226

Very well possible, with i7 they dont write down tge cpu model . Do you rent there ? If yes can you tell me which cpu they are using (its just saying i7 4*2.6) for 50 eur . Guess they should tell their customer the model and texh used

Cheaper then them and all the community will come to you, i will be your first customer
https://contabo.com/?show=servers

they are the cheapest you would find out there thats 4sure, if you will be cheaper then them, well…..

Karish

Visit profile

7 years ago #138232

Dedicated Server 
10-Core

Only 109.99 EUR / month

Intel Xeon E5 2630v4 (10 x 2.20 GHz)

_Cujo

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 101 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #139475

Dedicated Server
10-Core
[/size]Only 109.99 EUR / month[/size]

Intel Xeon E5 2630v4 (10 x 2.20 GHz)

Hey. How do you like Contabo? I’m going to change my SQ VPS. I’m happy with what I currently use, but I view it as to expensive. I’m trying to cut costs from my business. Last month I spent so much on costs, multiple VPS set up – 1x SQ, 2x NT, multiple RT data subscriptions, storage, software liscensing, my monthly costs are just getting out of hand. I’m finding I have to make to many ticks per month to cover costs.

For example, last month, by the time I covered costs, my profits were in single digits (no kidding, less than $10), but if I can reduce cost by half, it would have popped to 4 digits, so expenses getting out of control. Last month was exceptional, big DD combo on my systems and discretionary, but want to use it as momentum to make the change. My biggest DD is yet to come, and that could mean a big monthly loss after costs. My SQ VPS is my #1 must reduce cost… (buying workstation or server not an option for reasons).

One of the things I had in mind was this thread. I knew I wanted to return to it for awhile. This weekend, I’m transitioning my SQ from current VPS to… something. Maybe Contabo, but I’ve read really bad reviews… Is it good for you? It’s “just” for SQ, so not as mission critical as my NT VPSes (on speedy trading servers, so rock solid, but optimized for NT and actual trading execution, not back end number crunching)…

gentmat

Visit profile

7 years ago #139476

Hey. How do you like Contabo? I’m going to change my SQ VPS. I’m happy with what I currently use, but I view it as to expensive. I’m trying to cut costs from my business. Last month I spent so much on costs, multiple VPS set up – 1x SQ, 2x NT, multiple RT data subscriptions, storage, software liscensing, my monthly costs are just getting out of hand. I’m finding I have to make to many ticks per month to cover costs.

For example, last month, by the time I covered costs, my profits were in single digits (no kidding, less than $10), but if I can reduce cost by half, it would have popped to 4 digits, so expenses getting out of control. Last month was exceptional, big DD combo on my systems and discretionary, but want to use it as momentum to make the change. My biggest DD is yet to come, and that could mean a big monthly loss after costs. My SQ VPS is my #1 must reduce cost… (buying workstation or server not an option for reasons).

One of the things I had in mind was this thread. I knew I wanted to return to it for awhile. This weekend, I’m transitioning my SQ from current VPS to… something. Maybe Contabo, but I’ve read really bad reviews… Is it good for you? It’s “just” for SQ, so not as mission critical as my NT VPSes (on speedy trading servers, so rock solid, but optimized for NT and actual trading execution, not back end number crunching)…

Buy your own servers ! Why do u spend that much !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Cujo

Visit profile

7 years ago #139477

Buy your own servers ! Why do u spend that much !

Yeah, like I said, having a server or a workstation is not an option. So, I need to have a VPS (and I’m for sure doing nothing with my trading servers like domestic setting). Unless you mean buy a server in a server farm somewhere… VPS is needed…

Also, it’s a little my point asking for feedback on Contabo, as I’m trying to reduce my costs. I’m super happy with my current SQ VPS provider, but decided I want to reduce costs. Where do you host SQ? Specifically SQ, I’m not moving my trading servers as speedy is without peer, but they’re not at all number crunching beasts, they optimized for a execution.

_Cujo

Visit profile

7 years ago #139489

Yeah…like I mentioned, I can’t go with buying a server or a PC. It’s not a money thing, it’s a lifestyle thing.

I need to have a VPS. I do my strategy generation and host my two trading servers in the cloud. I can’t have boxes in a room, it’s not a cost thing, it’s a lifestyle thing.

Do you actually use Contabo? I’m really happy with my current host, but trying to cut costs, and I’m paying for things like customer service, which I don’t actually use, so wanted to go more discount…..

Gui

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 59 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #139496

Yeah…like I mentioned, I can’t go with buying a server or a PC. It’s not a money thing, it’s a lifestyle thing.

I need to have a VPS. I do my strategy generation and host my two trading servers in the cloud. I can’t have boxes in a room, it’s not a cost thing, it’s a lifestyle thing.

Do you actually use Contabo? I’m really happy with my current host, but trying to cut costs, and I’m paying for things like customer service, which I don’t actually use, so wanted to go more discount…..

Hi mate,

I am very happy with them, already renting 2 VPSs there (for trading). Their support is awesome too.
Cheers,

Think different

Karish

Visit profile

7 years ago #139501

i have been using Contabo for SQ3 only, that dual XEON one, great beast but im waiting for SQ4 right now and building my own machine with i7 6900K or i7 6950X this new project is not only for SQ4 but for my gaming habits etc..,

if i’ll see in the future that SQ4 will work much better with XEONs i will build a server strictly for SQ4 or just rent Contabo again, was very happy with them 🙂

gentmat

Visit profile

7 years ago #139506

Sorry but its intresting concept . Boxes in a room ? So pc are boxes in a room and its a lifestyle . Im not quite understanding .
U can have any lifestyle u want but can u explain more about why u dont buy computers (i love philosophy) especially studyinh weird human thoughts .
So what bothers u with boxes ? Their looks ? The fan sound ? How does pc affect lifestyle for u

_Cujo

Visit profile

7 years ago #139518

Lucca, Karish and notch – thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll go with Contabo, and get it set up this weekend. I’m sticking with Speedy Trading Servers for my two trading machines, so this is “just” the SQ generation machine I’m moving. Appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

gentmat – I generate my own electricity by peddling on a bike hooked up to a turbine. There are already barely enough hours in the day for me to pedal to power the desktop i7 and monitors that I use for discretionary during RTH (all powered by my Titan Black SLI set up, a little old, but I need the grunt for the monitors). That doesn’t even scratch the surface on the other 7 computers, with combined 28 monitors in my house. I’ve been losing weight, I have to pedal so much. I literally couldn’t keep up with the power needs if I transitioned my 3x VPS machines to machines in my house – there aren’t enough hours in the day to pedal that much. 

Although, I’ve been thinking about outsourcing the peddling to a thousand hamsters, but then I have to feed and water them. Not unlike transitioning from discretionary trading to automated.  :rolleyes:

gentmat

Visit profile

7 years ago #139618

Lucca, Karish and notch – thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll go with Contabo, and get it set up this weekend. I’m sticking with Speedy Trading Servers for my two trading machines, so this is “just” the SQ generation machine I’m moving. Appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

gentmat – I generate my own electricity by peddling on a bike hooked up to a turbine. There are already barely enough hours in the day for me to pedal to power the desktop i7 and monitors that I use for discretionary during RTH (all powered by my Titan Black SLI set up, a little old, but I need the grunt for the monitors). That doesn’t even scratch the surface on the other 7 computers, with combined 28 monitors in my house. I’ve been losing weight, I have to pedal so much. I literally couldn’t keep up with the power needs if I transitioned my 3x VPS machines to machines in my house – there aren’t enough hours in the day to pedal that much.

Although, I’ve been thinking about outsourcing the peddling to a thousand hamsters, but then I have to feed and water them. Not unlike transitioning from discretionary trading to automated. :rolleyes:

Get married , then get 11 kids let them peddle :p get 22 computers assign 10 cores for games and 10 for work .
For best time get them vive htc and install bicycle game . Enjoy your own electricity with 11 kids roaming around the house

_Cujo

Visit profile

7 years ago #139636

I transitioned my SQ VPS to Contabo over the weekend. Took me about 3 hours once they sent my log in to have it all up and running – downloading various programs (Google Drive, Dimension 4, CCleaner, SQ itself , etc), transferring data in to SQ, configuring stuff, etc..etc.. you know how it goes. It’s easy enough, but a pain in the a$$. I was putting it off for awhile, but finally just did it Saturday night.

Changing to Contabo increased the number of instance of SQ I’m running by almost 2x, while reducing the cost to less than 1/4 what it was.

It’s not quite as convenient – I used to have both my trading VPSes (I run 2) and my SQ VPS with the same “general purpose” host. However, I changed my trading VPSes to Speedy Trading Servers a couple of months ago for stability (and ping) reasons. Long story, but basically my real time data provider kept having intermittent disconnects, of course that really screws with automated strategies (if the disconnect is long enough for your platform to time out, which was happening). It was only happening about 1-2 every 1-2 months, but it was enough, so… after I changed my trading VPS provider and my RT data provider, disconnects totally stopped. At least nothing now for about …4 months? Something like that.

Now I changed running SQ to Contabo, much, much more cost efficient. It seems a little slower in the strategy generation, but the increased instances should make up for it. I guess the core speed is a little lower.

Not as easy as having a single host, but much better results and cost efficiency, and once remote desktop is set up (about 10 seconds), it doesn’t really matter where I’m connecting to anyway.

hannahis

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 21 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #139768

Hi I’m thinking of buying my own server

1. Need to test thousands of strategies.  Need to run 30 to 50 MT4 terminals or more ideally 100 to 200 MT4 terminals (with 99 EA installed in each MT4).  At my current pace, it going to take me a long time to complete all my testing.  Time is money, I’m thinking of investing to purchase a server to speed up my EA development.

2. Which window system should I get? I’m rather new to this, so can MT4 can be installed in Window Server 2012 R2? etc

Currently my Windows 10 is giving me problem.  It reboot automatically and hence disrupt my EA testing.  I’m thinking whether any of the Window server version has automatic rebooting (which can be overwrite? cos I don’t want to ended up with the same problem with Windows 10)…sorry if I asked any silly questions cos I’m not a computer savvy person.

_Cujo

Visit profile

7 years ago #139776

Hi I’m thinking of buying my own server

1. Need to test thousands of strategies.  Need to run 30 to 50 MT4 terminals or more ideally 100 to 200 MT4 terminals (with 99 EA installed in each MT4).  At my current pace, it going to take me a long time to complete all my testing.  Time is money, I’m thinking of investing to purchase a server to speed up my EA development.

2. Which window system should I get? I’m rather new to this, so can MT4 can be installed in Window Server 2012 R2? etc

Currently my Windows 10 is giving me problem.  It reboot automatically and hence disrupt my EA testing.  I’m thinking whether any of the Window server version has automatic rebooting (which can be overwrite? cos I don’t want to ended up with the same problem with Windows 10)…sorry if I asked any silly questions cos I’m not a computer savvy person.

I have trading activities multiple VPS machines that run both Windows Server 2012 and well as 2008 R2. 

IMHO, 2008 R2 is easier. I think it’s because it’s less flashy, and more similar to “old school” windows, which is my comfort zone, before Windows went all “Apple like”.

Having said that, I wish I was more technical, as I’d love to learn a Linux distribution. Licencing Windows for a VPS is a sizeable % of the fee of the VPS fees. Maybe one day, but trading, studying trading, learning trading, designing and testing systems and actually, you know, trading itself…takes up so much time, I can barely learn how to do the basics on Windows itself. If something goes screwy with NT, or IB, or anything I’m using, like SQ, I can patiently sit and trouble shoot it with support, but actually running the server…pfff…

For that reason as well, I’d rather use a VPS, than actually buy a server. I know a server would be cheaper in the long run, but the VPS fees all go in to my business plan, and as long as I’m ahead for the month, quarter and year, it’s good.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

1 2