Bollinger Band Spreading

5 replies

Uwe6000

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 27 replies.

Visit profile

6 years ago #232829

Hello, how can I check the value of the upper and lower Bollinger bands to determine when the bands are together and when the bands are spreading?
Does anyone have an idea ? I just want to open one position when the Bollinger bands open. Could one compare the values of the upper and lower band in a range of x periods with the current one, or perhaps measure the angle of change of the upper band?

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

6 years ago #232832

Hello,

all you mentioned is basically possible. Do you have any specific idea about how it could work? Any chart/trade example?

Measuring angles of indicators is something really tricky. To see what I mean put a moving average on a chart and start squeezing or stretching it. The angle will alter just because of this and this is something that has nothing to do with market action itself hence it cannot be used to determine any future market action

Uwe6000

Visit profile

6 years ago #232835

Hello Thomas, yes I have … here is a view Dow Jones 21.3.18 in MT4 17.35 clock (2 hours offset = 15:35 – no preference). It’s just the signal that matters.
So: Horizontal green and vertical green is the entry point. The price is above the last high (say the last 12-30 periods) 2. the moving averages are rising, the volume is also increasing, but more important is that the Bollinger band opens. Before, the Bollinger Band is rather together. If you look, you can also see that the Bollinger Band is very sideways and very tight. However, if then a breakout occurs, e.g. the upper Bollinger band its angle. 2. The distance from the lower to the upper Bollinger band is getting bigger … how could you get the signal. e.g. programming long in the wizard?

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

tomas262

Visit profile

6 years ago #232902

Hello,

this is hard to setup since you will need to describe the situation by rules in Wizard while there is a lot of variety in how the signal can look like. I will try to setup some ‘simple’ rules for this and post

Uwe6000

Visit profile

6 years ago #232915

Hello, the angle of the SMA 6 (white) and sma9 (yellow) is the solution maybe ?

tomas262

Visit profile

6 years ago #232931

Hello,

it can be also setup easily just using ‘Highest’ and ‘BollingerBand’ without a need to check for angles. You can add more filters and try to play with comparing moving averages value. I have also added a comparison to evaluate whether BollingerBand is widening or not

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)