Magic number, multiple EAs on the same pair.

5 replies

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

10 years ago #111865

Will EA’s on the same pair (and same broker) modify each other? For example: A bollinger strategy and a RSI strategy on EU. All their orders will appear on the same chart. Will the Bollinger modify the stops on the RSI? Will the RSI modify the bollinger’s stops?

I will need to make a custom Magic number for EAs using the same pair, correct?

Stormin_Norman

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 36 replies.

Visit profile

10 years ago #123304

There is magic number built into the code. Just make sure to set it.

"To be or not to be? That is the qu3stinn" - Monkey on the typewriter

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

10 years ago #123305

Yes I am aware of the magic number built in, I may have no worded myself correctly.
If multiple EAs are running on the same brokerage account and same pair, I should set a personal magic number for each one so they do not interact, correct?
You did kind of answer it already though. Thanks.

Stormin_Norman

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 36 replies.

Visit profile

10 years ago #123307

Yes. Different magic number for each EA.

"To be or not to be? That is the qu3stinn" - Monkey on the typewriter

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

10 years ago #123334

yes, EAs control their trades by magic numbers. So if you have multiple EAs on one chart make sure you set them different and unique magic numbers.

Mark

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

jimasks

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 45 replies.

Visit profile

10 years ago #123575

I also was frustrated by this. So, I wrote a little function that would take the Symbol and convert it to a unique number and add it to the user inputted magic number. I also go to random.org and get it to generate a random number to use as a default in each EA that I write. This way any EA can be used on any pair and they will not ‘cross talk’ and will also be unique to each EA I make. 

Then I placed the unique magic number generator in the CustomFuctions, call it at the beginning of the EA and set the magic number to the new number (MagicNumber = NewMG(Symbol(),MagicNumber)). Now I don’t have to bother with this problem again.  

Hope this helps all of use.

Jim

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)