Want to generate one signal only

3 replies

Jojo

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 50 replies.

Visit profile

10 years ago #111987

Could you advise me? I am building an indicator to generate a signal when price opens and closes above a moving average at the beginning of a trend. The problem am getting is that a multitude of signals are generated for every candle that opens and closes above that MA. How can i manage this situation. I need to be able to resolve this before I consider creating an EA.

Thanks

Jojo

jimasks

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 45 replies.

Visit profile

10 years ago #123834

Hey Jojo,

Could you post your SQ file? Then we could look at it.

My guess is that you are wanting to use the function ‘Crosses Above’ to enter your trade. This seems to be a common wish. 

The way this function works is to look at the time two indicators or an indicator and price and sees when it crosses. 

For example, using two moving averages, one may want to have a fastMA crosses Above the Slow MA.

You should have an example of such a situation in the examples with SQ wizard. Look at “EMA Cross.”

If you look at the tabs for “Go Long” or “Go Short,” you should see what you are interested in. 

If not maybe you could provide what you have and an explanation of what you would want to do. 

jimasks

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 45 replies.

Visit profile

10 years ago #123855

Oh, I was so sloppy about reading your first posting. 

I think you are interested in taking a long trade entry when a candle opens and closes above a moving average for the first time. The reverse for a short trade.

The logic is (for a long);

when both the open and close of a candle are above the moving average

and when the open or the close crosses above the moving average. 

If I get this right the trade entry will be something like the enclosed EA should do.  Check it out and see if this is what you are interested in doing.

Jim

Jojo

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 50 replies.

Visit profile

10 years ago #123902

Hi Jimasks, most grateful to you for your input. Your second post was addressing part of my concerns. Yes, it does not generate multiple signals. I will run some tests.

Kind regards

Jojo

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)