Reported Equity

3 replies

DCH

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 1 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #112966

When I look at the “Equity chart” tab, I see a graph which, I believe, only shows me the equity based on closed trades only, and does not include open positions- is that correct?  If so, please can you tell me if it’s possible to include the open position P&L and if not possible please can you include this as a new feature as without the open P&L the Equity chart can be quite misleading!

Thanks

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #127898

Hello,

this is not possible, because yourMT4 accounts history contains only closed trades. So EA Analyzer imports only closed,finished trades, it wasn’t made to display open trades.

Anyway, how would you want to display them in equity chart? They are not closed yet, so they cannot be a part of equity yet.

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

psword

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 2 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #128534

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I think OP pointed out something quite important.

Open trades do not change the account balance, but they do change the equity of it.

For example, let’s suppose I have an account balance of 1.000,00 USD and 1 open trade losing up to $ 500,00 at a given time. During all the period the open trade is losing money, my account equity will be lower than $ 1.000,00 reaching a lower equity of $ 500,00 while the balance still remains $ 1.000,00.

After a few days though the losing open trade finally turns to profit and it’s being closed for a net profit of $ 100,00. EA Analyzer will report no drawdown for the entire period, there will be no equity drawdown shown and just a balance (and equity) increase of $100,00 after the trade is closed.

Now if we imagine to run a portfolio where on the same account 2 or more EAs are running, it may happen that multiple trades opened by different EAs during the same period of time time could make equity drawdown as explained above. In this scenario if the sum of all the open trades equity drawdown is larger than the account balance at any given time, the account is busted. Unfortunately this will never be shown by EA Analyzer, making us believe that our portfolio is actually making money while in fact it is not.

Would really be a priority in my opinion to make EA Analyzer calculate instant Equity Drawdown based on each trade open/close prices and loaded history data, to avoid misleading EAs and portfolio reports.

Thank you. 🙂

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #128552

yes, something like this is possible if we have history data or if we can get backtest data, not only trade results.

I’m afraid we’ll not make this functionality in EA Analyzer, at least not in the near future.

But we plan to add it to StrategyQuant backtester.

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)