Is Strategy Quant licensed to a set of hardware?

7 replies

_Cujo

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 101 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #114953

Last night I activated my 14 day trial and code a trial license code. Played around with Strategy Quant for awhile. Looks ideal, exactly what I’m after.

Today, I tried installing it on my virtual machine (Google Cloud), as I can run it 24/7/365 that way, which I can’t on my desktop. So, just keep it grinding out generations.

I couldn’t run it. I entered my licence key, and it said it wasn’t licensed to that machine. I had closed the instance on my desktop down before running it on my remote machine.

Does that mean – when/if I purchase it, I’m limited to running it on a single set of hardware? I’m only running single instance at a time, but that single instance is licensed to a single set of hardware? That totally ends my thoughts of running it in the cloud 24/7/365, as I can’t pay $1.4k every time I change instances in the cloud, or even vendors…seems a little odd to be licensed to a set of hardware…?

(I also send an email to the licencing queries email, as I didn’t know where I’d get an answer faster)

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #136166

If the license could be used on any machine it could be easily abused by sharing with many. You can move your license to another PC but it has to be reset. You can do it yourself in the dashboard or send me an email. I will do it for you. Also there can be one additional license issued for you so you can run SQ on two machines.

_Cujo

Visit profile

8 years ago #136178

Hi Tomas, thanks for coming back to me so fast. I replied to your email, with a follow up. I followed your instructions, but it’s still saying the license doesn’t work on my remote machine…I sent you some screen shots. Thanks!

Edinho

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 36 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #136216

Hi Cujo

How did you get on with your cloud solution?

_Cujo

Visit profile

8 years ago #136404

Works like a dream…

Edinho

Visit profile

8 years ago #136423

What cloud service do you use? AWS or Google? Whats your monthly payment and performance of the VPS?

_Cujo

Visit profile

8 years ago #136493

I use Google.

This is what 4x instances of SQ does to a Google 16 core machine. I have the core usage scaled back on each instance, depending on what it’s doing (genetic vs improve, etc.). You can see where I go in and adjust settings. I’ve just started using SQ, so there’s still a lot of learning and adjustments, but ideally, I’ll get to more set and forget soon.

Not sure how efficient this is, but it works for me. I’m not so technical so have not done much work to make the server run better.

2WAlgAq.png?1

Edinho

Visit profile

8 years ago #136496

Wow this look good.My PC is running 2 instances of SQ. Processor is INTEL XEON 3.3GHZ  and 20gb ram.. 100% utilisation of processor.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)