Annual return and Spread ?

4 replies

kiran

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 18 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #115170

I’m using Futures,  have Capital at 25K, Position sizing is 1 Lot and get Net annual profit is $2000.

1) I’m seeing strange Annual Return % numbers such as 170,000%

– How is Annual Return calculated?  Shouldn’t it be Annualized Net Profit/Capital = 2000/25000 = 8% in this case?

– Since AnnRet/Max DD% is one of my Fitness functions, i guess it messes up my evolution metric too.

2) Also, default Spread for symbols is 3pips, which seems high for liquid Futures – e.g. ES probably has a spread of 1 tick.

– How is the Spread used in backtests and in the Results?  My data is based on Last Price, and i’ve added a 1pip slippage – should i use Spread=0?

3) Also, is fractional Lots (e.g. 0.1 Lot) position sizing applicable for futures?  I thought 1 contract is minimum and only whole numbers 

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137308

Hello,

1) can you provide more details like screenshot or STR file for this? There could be an issue or bug with the stat. We have had a similar report recently

2) you can use spread set to 0 or 1 for highly liquid markets like ES or NQ. Its added when using market orders and stop-loss with the strategy

3) not possible. You can only play 1 contract or its multiples

kiran

Visit profile

7 years ago #137329

Attached is screenshot showing unusally high Annual Return.  My initial capital is 25K (for 1-contract position size) and Net Profit over a 12 month backtest is 21K, so Annual Return is 21/25 = 80%.

The reported Annual Return is 1875%

Also, how do i paste a screenshot/image on this forum.  I had to save the screenshot as a file and attach, wondering if there’s an easier way of copy/paste screenshots.

kiran

Visit profile

7 years ago #137378

Hi,

– Any update on the Annual Return issue?  Isn’t everyone seeing this with Futures?

– Also, i understand Spread is added to Market and Stop Loss orders (but not Limit orders).  How about Slippage (i have each at 1 tick) – is Slippage added to all 3 order types (in addition to the Spread of 1 tick)?  

– Where in the Reports can i see the cost of Slippage and Spread during a backtest? 

thanks

Kiran

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137488

unfortunately, there seems to be a bug in Annual Return in % in SQ3, at least on some asset classes.

– yes, Spread should be added only to Market and Stop Orders, slippage is added to all three types

– there is no extra field to see Spread+Slippage, it is already incorporated into the trade opening price

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)