SQ – How is everyone storing and keeping track of EAs?

1 replies

nolube

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 115 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #115266

So I must admit, my archiving of files and finsihed EA’s, originals pre-optimisation is sloppy at best.

My current system is something like this..

I have a strageies folder, within that I store the builds in seperat folders depending on timeframe, m15, h1 etc. Which I think makes sense, but from here it gets sloppy.

I then have the next folder as the currency pair followed by anything that comes to mind, see screenshot.

Then, within that folder I’ll save all the files from the build, and then I will go through a process of elimination trying to break them all and finding the ones that stand up to the abuse and save them with that folder in a new folder called “to WFM’ 

Then, finally if they pass WFM they get saved in the next folder called “passed 1” etc.

Then when I export them to .mq4 they just go in my EA folder of MT4 – now it’s very hard to go back and find out which is which for reoptimising etc.

Would REALLY love to know how others do their archiving for easy reference later on.. I’m sure there is a simple answer, but my brain is failing me on this.

File: sqea.jpgsqea.jpg

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137856

I was sort of hoping SQ4 would have a project type structure that holds a tree of steps that have been taken on working through the process from build to export of code ready for trading.

At the moment my structure is similar to yours, but I have:

Currency Pair (E.g. EURUSD)  —-> Timeframe (e.g. H1) —-> Concept (e.g. Breakout using Stop Orders) —> Random (multiple folders) —> Genetic  —> Stategy 12345 Improved —-> Strategy 67890 Optimised.

All the MQ4 source files go into one folder.

I then used myfxbook to upload MT4 backtests for the ones that look robust, so I can use that a reference for candidates and as an online repository.

I use Windows indexing on all the folders so finding them by strategy number is very fast.

That’s it so far for how I manage them

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)