Why bother learning JAVA?

12 replies

mikeross1984

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 11 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #116771

Hello:

I have a question. I have fairly basic coding knowledge and can understand and modify existing code, but I  not write code.

My plan to solve the issue with was to take 5 college courses in Java, from beginner to advanced. It would be free since my work would pay for it.

My goal is to be able to build excellent trading Algorithms in Java.

However, after buying StrategyQuant..What is the point of learning a programming language to build algorithms when StrategyQuant does it for you in MT4 code?

I want to learn Java but I am not sure if it is worth all the time and energy?

Is taking the short cut a good idea?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael 

Karish

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 443 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #142862

Java will be beneficial if you plan to build custom indicators for SQ4, because in order to use custom indicators from MT4/Ninja/TS/etc and to be able to use those custom indicators in SQ4 you will need to make the same indicator in Java in order to implement it to SQ4 and use it,

so i would say unless you do not plan to use custom indicators and implement your ideas into SQ4 then do not bother learning Java

daveng

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 93 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #142877

Java will be beneficial if you plan to build custom indicators for SQ4, because in order to use custom indicators from MT4/Ninja/TS/etc and to be able to use those custom indicators in SQ4 you will need to make the same indicator in Java in order to implement it to SQ4 and use it,

so i would say unless you do not plan to use custom indicators and implement your ideas into SQ4 then do not bother learning Java

I agree…
Now that we have SQ, learning programming is no longer a necessity. But still it will be a bonus to have some knowledge.
It really depends what you’re after. For me, coding a strategy from scratch gives me a sense of satisfaction to the extend that it became my hobby. It is a different form of satisfaction that you’ll get when generating strategies from SQ. Which is why today I am still coding my own strategies, in parellel with generating from SQ.
And for me, coding EA is much more fun and satisfying than coding indicators.

Regards,
Dave

Karish

Visit profile

7 years ago #142878

to be honest i gave up on coding in MQL for good after finding SQ :),

i did create my strategies via MQL back in the days,

but there is no point in doing so now days it is just a waste of time, think about that, you need to manually code your idea,

the idea is very hard to find, then to code it takes time, then to test and find out it sucks then going back to finding another idea or optimize what we have already now, but what if you want to check for more exit or entry rules?, you need to code those also…

then testing in the slowest platform ever MT4 for IS + OOS and make optimizations and….. well…. that sucks!,

I thank god that i no longer looking at charts and codes XD,

will be fun to convert MQL indicators to Java though :), hope you guys will share indicators so we could have a large database of custom indicators like supertrend no-lagma fisher etc… 🙂

gentmat

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 234 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #142881

learning java vs strategyquant.
dont even bother learning java. do something else with your time . sex will be more beneficial ! or any other hobby ! dont waste time on learning computer language !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #142882

Tells professional programmer GENTMAT[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Odoslané z D6603 pomocou Tapatalku

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #142883

Learn java. Itwill be good for Sq4 and for whole life

Odoslané z D6603 pomocou Tapatalku

mikeross1984

Visit profile

7 years ago #142884

I agree with everybodys comments above! Makes sense to me!

However, then why do Wall Street hedge funds look for programmers who use Java,Python or C++ ? Why don’t they use StrategyQuant. (BTW, I love StrategyQuant) 

Is it because they are building High Frequency Trading systems?

Also. how does StrategyQuant compare to what a big hedge fund has in terms of software?  Consider we have no overhead and expense(office rent, staff costs etc) 

Michael 

gentmat

Visit profile

7 years ago #142887

I agree with everybodys comments above! Makes sense to me!

However, then why do Wall Street hedge funds look for programmers who use Java,Python or C++ ? Why don’t they use StrategyQuant. (BTW, I love StrategyQuant)

Is it because they are building High Frequency Trading systems?

Also. how does StrategyQuant compare to what a big hedge fund has in terms of software? Consider we have no overhead and expense(office rent, staff costs etc)

Michael

It is a huge question . hedge funds does not code such strategies at all. they trade differently than how you think they do.
Using computer language to build something you want it is different than using sq or any editor.

when you want to achieve things in life in a fast way , you loose a lot of flexibility. coding from 0 have the power to make anything you want . using editor or auto generation is nice fast but can not be compared to custom builds.

hedge funds use conding for hft trading that relies on many markets different once with light speed and thousands of trades and billions of dollars. they wont use sq auto generator . they are the market.

your question is very hard to answer without 5 pages of explanation. guess your new to trading and computer science.
for now ignore java and programmkng focus on learning trading. what is hedge funds , how banks trade and how retails does. difference between brokers basic to advanced. then go for quant trading like sq. but learn the manual basics forst so u know how to use automation , how to filter …
even us still struggle with that.
good luck

Karish

Visit profile

7 years ago #142888

Funds do HFT mostly from my understanding,

also they have tools like SQ and super computers and quants to do the job,

its HFT or kind of software like SQ to make a good portfolio IMO.. 

mikeross1984

Visit profile

7 years ago #142899

I agree Karish, its mostly because Wall Street firms build mosty HFT systems with Java or C++. I wonder what kind of return a Professional HFT system yields compared to SQ?

gentmat

Visit profile

7 years ago #142902

I agree Karish, its mostly because Wall Street firms build mosty HFT systems with Java or C++. I wonder what kind of return a Professional HFT system yields compared to SQ?

not all make same. every bank, trader, hedge fund aim for smth other than the other.
watch these podcasts … many podcast on this channel . watch them all if u want

https://youtu.be/1ah7XokvcwA

Karish

Visit profile

7 years ago #142925

yep 🙂 every one got their own style, its like you have your own priorities for drawdown, i would never let my system to be above 30%, but you maybe more risky and will go up to 40%,

some will never want to see even 10% hehe, depends on the mindset i guess 😛

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)