Constant Windows 10 updates and reboots

5 replies

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260041

Hi,

Does anyone have the same issue where Windows 10 likes to apply updates and reboot every few days. In doing so I lose the work in QA4 where it was finding portfolios over a long period of time.

Anyone know how to make QuantAnalyzer save it’s progress every hour or something or stop all non user reboots?

Cheers,

Mike

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260047

Hi,

you can try to do following

1. Run > services.msc
  2. Find Windows update and double click
  3. In the General Tab > Stop the service
  4. Also in General Tab > Startup Type > Set to Disabled
  5. In the Recovery Tab > First Failure > Set to Take no action

If you ever need to update Windows, just reverse the above, run the updates manually, and then disable again when done.

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260051

Cool thanks.

Actually I’ve just noticed you can paused updates for up to 35 days, which I’ve done using the advanced options on the Windows Update settings.

Regards,

Mike

Enyx

Subscriber, customer, community, bbp_participant, 19 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260075

Tried many workarounds like this. Soon or late MS wins. I gave up on this pain. Vote for Linux

Enyx

Namir

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 3 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260065

I am using this small but powerfull program:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wumgr.html

just check “always run as administrator” and on second tab click on “Disable automatic update”. And thats it.

BUT – with this setting you will avoid installing updates and restarting computer during trading. However I strongly recommend to enable updates back via button “Automatic update (default)” at least once per month . You can install updates during weekend manually, restart computer and disable them again.

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260110

we are stating very obvious things here, Windows 10 desktop editions, Home or Pro are simply not designed for 24/24 use. Thats why they have all sorts of features like Microsoft Store or media players….etc. For very stable and 24/24 usage, there is Windows Server.

I am aware of the license issue, fact that if someone has a laptop or even a desktop with a BIOS encoded serial, it doesnt make sense or is not efficient to install another version of windows but the conclusion is that only a sever type of operating system will be stable enough for trading and SQ generating.

Modifying and tuning a Windows 10 desktop to a server like usage is only a half measure

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)