New Rules ignoring old rules

3 replies

force199

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 11 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #112849

Hi,

I tend to find that whenever I create a new rule, the EA seems to ignore the old rule. Why is that?

EG If I set…

Rule 1 to: Bid > SMA 80 on Daily chart

Rule 2 to: Close > SMA 80 on 4 hour chart

Rule 3 to Bid crosses above SMA on 1 hour chart

And then I have place holders of “Do Nothing” on Rules 1 and 2, then “Enter at Stop” on Rule 3, I find that in practice the EA has ignored rules 1 and 2, and is executing trades based on Rule 3 only.

That is not good. What am I doing wrong?

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #127354

if I understand it right you want to make ti evaluate all three rules to make action in rule 3.

This is not how it works, each rule is independent. 

You should define all your three conditions in one rule – you can have multiple conditions in the IF section.

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

force199

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 11 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #127387

Thanks Mark, the system wasn’t working when I had all three rules in one IF section, but I had another look at it today and I think its the confusion between pips and real pips and when to use 20 or 0.0020 that have messed me up. So I’m going to have another long look to fix it.

Incidentally, if I only want the first rule to trigger one trade, I assume on the second rule I identify that trade and select “DO NOTHING” on the THEN action, since there is not a “DON’T OPEN ANY MORE TRADES” option.

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #127465

if you don’t want to use second rule at all then you can delete it.

If you want to use multiple rules to open trades at different circumstances then you can use controls from Strategy Control, such as Market Position or Order Opened This Bar

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)