Lowest High of last 5 bars

6 replies

ssdex

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 99 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #113373

Hello,

I’ve looked through the forum and didn’t find an answer to my question. I’m looking to understand how to state or find the value of the; Lowest High of last 5 bars?

Thanks for any help on this.

James

force199

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 11 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #129018

To get the lowest price over last five bars use LOWEST setting under custom Indicators and select 5 under period.

I haven’t seen anything that gives you the lowest point of the highest bar.

ssdex

Visit profile

9 years ago #129026

Thanks for the reply force199. I have been using the lowest/highest for other price action calculations. But this doesn’t help with what I’m looking to do. I would need to find the Highest Low of X# of bars.

I’m also wondering if there is a way to create a variable to find a certain price pattern and then have the rules look back and use them in trading rules?

Thanks again for any help.

James

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #129059

unfortunately, there’s no simple way to find the lowest value of last 5 bars high.

You can do it by calling a function Minimum(High[0], Minimum(High[1], Minimum(High[2], Minimum(High[3], Minimum(High[4], High[5])))))

but it doesn’t allow you to dynamically change the number of bars from 5 to something else.

I’m also wondering if there is a way to create a variable to find a certain price pattern and then have the rules look back and use them in trading rules?

I’m not sure what you mean. You can store a value to a variable if some pattern is recognized, and then use this variable in another rule

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

ssdex

Visit profile

9 years ago #129077

Mark, thanks for the ideas on the highest low / lowest high. I’ll try that out and see if I can get it to work for me. 

As for the variable. If I create a variable for a price pattern is it possible to have a rule look back at the last two times the price pattern was formed? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

James

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #129122

I’m still not 100%sure what you mean,if you want to check that the price pattern was formed two last times then the easiest would be to use two independent variables, and store each recognized pattern to a separate variable

You’ll have to handle checking if one variable is already used, then use the second variable, also when new pattern is recognized then replace it in variable and so on.

You have quite special requests, perhaps it would be easier for you to learn a little programming.

You can use EA Wizard to create the core of your strategy and you can do more complicated things in MQL code.

The thing you want usually require usage of cycles,and that is difficult to do using a wizard style tool.

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

ssdex

Visit profile

9 years ago #129147

Thanks Mark. I’ll check into mql4 programming. I played around with it a bit a while back. 

Thanks for your time.

James

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)