Has anyone tried 2yrs worth of 1hr bars for SQ EA live trading success yet?

3 replies

Batch

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 398 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #113701

Hi,
Has anyone tried 2yrs worth of 1hr bars from your mt4 broker server for SQ EA live trading success yet?
I remembered to use “page up” with chart unchecked for scrolling to “pull down” from broker server all the backdata they have for us, consequently at FXCM I have 2yrs worth of 1hr bars for eurusd & audusd, the ones that I tried this on so far.
Am running thru my usual many days random followed by overnight on genetic followed by improver (maybe this last cycle is more than once) and finally optimize, amazing when you think about it all these tools to carve out the best.
Got only a single thread on my $30/mo CNS server, but 2yrs 1hr bar-open-only is very fast on it, but I do use memory limitation startup option.

Guess I’m just chattin’, don’t know if final result will be usable as trying this idea a couple times long ago of just X months of backdata to use for only Y weeks or months of live trading is viable or not, however, this 2yrs is larger than my previous attempts in this mode/hope wherein I think I had only 9mo, soooo, its a big *maybe*.

Anyone try this style before? Only once on some other strategy-generator-forum did I see someone claim they had success in this mode, too bad I didn’t keep that url around. 🙁

My mt4 w/ fxcm is for live real acct, thus so is the data, with volume data in the backdata too. What I do to test out such mode is run the test forward each day while checking to see if I should be running another EA generation.

If such modus-operandi could be good it sure is behooving not having to buy an i7-4770 eh!? Lol.
Best,
Jerry

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #130395

No but I have a strategy originally generated on (main) data downloaded from MT4 servers (15 years of data) and it tests beautifully on 4 other types of data (duka,Histdata,fxdd,forexite) and trades live. I don’t think MT4 data is that bad for H1 honestly. I think it gets a bad wrap from all these people trying to make HFTs or something.

FXDD has their M1  data al lthe way back to 2005 here http://www.fxdd.com/us/en/forex-resources/forex-trading-tools/metatrader-1-minute-data/

Oanda has to 1999 i think if you get an account with them.

Pepperidge to 2009 here https://pepperstone.com/mt4-forex-trading/mt4-tick-chart-history-data.php

FXChoice used to allow scrolling back with page up all the way back to like 2008 or more but they recently switched liquidity providers and its only 1 year now.

and MBT (Manhattan Beach Trading) has it on their website for live accounts to 2011 and is very high quality.

So what I’m saying is you can get that broker data from many websites, and more than 2 years. And also yes I’ve done scroll back with FXChoice before they switched liquidity providers and made good strategies (still working) with it.

Batch

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 398 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #130396

No but I have a strategy originally generated on (main) data downloaded from MT4 servers (15 years of data) and it tests beautifully on 4 other types of data (duka,Histdata,fxdd,forexite) and trades live. I don’t think MT4 data is that bad for H1 honestly. I think it gets a bad wrap from all these people trying to make HFTs or something.

Interesting, by “mt4-download” you mean from the Metatrader corp, not the broker data? There’s 15yrs worth?
And its done you that well!? This IS news. Thx!

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #130397

Haha!

But the key was the additional data.

Edited a bunch of stuff in above btw.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)