Processor Base Frequency

4 replies

tiiger79

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, customer, 14 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #113794

Hi guys,

I am about to buy a laptop (8 Threads Intel, 16Gb ram), and I am wondering does it make a big difference if the Processor Base Frequency is 2.50GHz, 2.80GHz or 2.90GHz, when all other parameters (Memory, CPU etc) are the same?

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #130833

Well, the only difference is that any given task will be 12% quicker on the 2.80 and 16% quicker on the 2.90 than the 2.50.  So it depends on how much extra the faster CPU costs vs your time…

Mark

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 7 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #130888

It doesn’t really matter as most of your time will be spent analysing the results, not on waiting for the calculations to finish.

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #130895

My thoughts are I’ve never once thought “I wish I had bought a slower computer”.

When you aren’t running SQ, you’ll be backtesting in MetaTrader or running EA analyzer to find the best portfolio.  All eat CPU.

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #130907

Hi,

I would personally go for CPU that supports overclocking and also use liquid cooling. Developing strategies using genetic programming is all about CPU power. It’s a trial and error process which consumes lot of time and effort so stronger CPU you have less time you’ll spend waiting for results after tweaking your settings.

Also don’t forget to check settings in StrategyQuant (Tools – Options – Performance) and set highest possible value for ‘Number of threads’ to fully utilize multi-core CPU

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)