Will and SSD improve SQ performance?

6 replies

Jazzy

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 4 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #114031

I am really injoying trying out Strategy Quant.  One question though, I have a dual quadcore machine with 24gb ram.  When running SQ performance rarely goes above 30%.  Do you have any suggestions on getting SQ to make full use of the processor power?

Would installing an SSD help?  I have run it on my laptop which has an SSD and it appears to run faster and use the full i7 capabilities.  I am not sure if it is an old hard drive that is slowing down the process.

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #131777

Yes difference is huge

Odoslané z SM-G900F pomocou Tapatalku

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #131778

I have a raid 0 setup running 4 15,000rpm baracudas (so 60,000 rpm) and I didn’t notice much of a difference from my normal 7,200rpm drives. I think it only matters if you are doing everything on real tick data, which I do not because my timeframes are mostly around H1.

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #131879

StrategyQuant loads the data to memory, so disc will not speed up the backtesting process that much.

The only exception is real tick data, these are loaded from disc, so in this case SSD disc would make a big difference.

SQ 3 has some flaws which cause it to not use the full processor power in certain settings, this will be fixed in SQ 4.

But you can overcome it by running multiple instances of SQ – you can have more than one installation of SQ on one machine, with the same license number.

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

seaton

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 161 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #132039

SSD will only help when importing/exporting your tick data.  

Memory and CPU will more help when mining strategies

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #132306

It will, IF you run multiple instances, even if you just use 1-minute-bar resolution. My disk-load (see your task manager under Performance, then Disc), on a SSD is:

3 instances: Read: 32mb/s, Write: 11mb/s

22 instances: Read: 140mb/s, Write: 40mb/s

And since it´s so many instances that write to different files, a normal mechanical HD would slow down things a lot because of the high seek-time. Hence a fast SSD comes in VERY hand, especially for seek times and with many instances, also read/write speeds.

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #132470

My advice is spend money on the memory and CPU (add memory, buy the fastest CPU you can) first, if there’s money left over, get a SSD.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)