Understanding time

3 replies

onis_uk

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 27 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #114098

HI, FX has always been a bit of a headache for me regarding time, time zones, daylight time shifts and market open/closes ! 

I have built a strategy that I would like to trade only during the hours of 07:00 GMT and 22:00 GMT

or even have times I can adjust. 

how would I go about doing this ?

and how would I adjust for DST etc…

regards onis

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #132210

Timestamps in MetaTrader always represent server-time

Don’t forget that London for example opens at 7 o’clock which is 6 GMT in summer when DST is ON and 7 GMT when DST is OFF

I have my conditions set to always check the time if it’s 7 o’clock. I don’t bother with GMT and DST settings since timestamps always represent London time and open is always at 7

onis_uk

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 27 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #132232

No i was talking more about the times in the EA’s, where do the reference to? say i want an EA to start trading at 7:00GMT is it getting the time from the broker (Oanda GMT -5) or is it getting the time from my pc ?

how would i know its trading the london open each day even if daylight savings is changing ??

regards onis

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #132240

If you want your EA to trade strictly at 7 GMT you need to implement rules to solve zone and DST shift. MetaTrader shows server time i.e. OANDA broker. In EA Wizard you can create a variable DST true/false and make it as a expert advisor input to be able to set shift ‘on the fly’ according to setting for current day/period

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)