Basic analysis figures correct?

1 replies

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #114285

Hi,

I’m not sure if I’m being especially stupid or whether even the basic calcuations in QA4 are correct.

Using Results in $ (which I look at most often) on a strategy using fixed 1.0 lots shows:

Total Profit

$73072

Return / DD ratio

STR Quality Number

If I switch view to results in pips:

Total Profit

Return / DD ratio

STR Quality Number

Does that seem correct?  Since 1 pip = $10 I would expect the drawdown and the profit to change by the same amount so that Ret/DD ratio and STR Quality number are not changed by results in pips or money?

Also, looking at average trade, it shows 10.12 pips.  In the stats below it shows average win of 6.36 pips and average loss of -52.26.  Is average trade the absolute average, so that big losses actually increase the average trade, rather than reduce it? If the average win is 6.36 pips and the average loss is -52.26, I would expect the average trade to be less than 6.36?  Maybe I’ve been reading average trade all wrong all this time…

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #133301

the calculations are correct, what could be the problem is if the point value of the symbols in your report weren’t recognized properly for some reason.

You can see and modify them during load or in Analyze -> Settings.

The point value should usually be 100000 for non-JPY pairs. QA uses these settings to convert from pips to money.

Or you could send me this report and I’ll look at it.

Also, looking at average trade, it shows 10.12 pips.  In the stats below it shows average win of 6.36 pips and average loss of -52.26.  Is average trade the absolute average, so that big losses actually increase the average trade, rather than reduce it? If the average win is 6.36 pips and the average loss is -52.26, I would expect the average trade to be less than 6.36?  Maybe I’ve been reading average trade all wrong all this time…

Average trade is absolute average for absolute value of all the trades, so big losses increase average trade.

If you want only average of winning trades that’s the Average win.

But if you don’t want it this was you can change the snippet that computes it (StatValues/AvgProfitValues.java), or create your own stats value, it is described here: https://strategyquant.com/doc/article/add-new-statistical-value.html

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)