hard drive and data sharing question…

3 replies

munchie

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 63 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #115338

hi guys,

ive recently ordered a new higher spec pc to run several instances of SQ simultaneously and came across a bit of a question which maybe members can help me with?

the unit only has a 250gb primarty SSD drive. when i looked into each SQ folder, it is circa 42gb (mostly the tick data from tick data downloader). 

my first question is, is there a way for all SQ instances to share one tick data folder for their generation rather than each instance having its own tick data which makes space storage an issue?

secondly, does it matter that SQ is installed and running on an SSD drive/primary drive or would performance be exactly the same on a normal hard drive?

i appreciate any help!

Munchie

Karish

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 443 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #138257

GaryAitcheson

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 5 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #138263

I use 3 SQ instances on my laptop. I start them all manually.

I created a single bin folder and created a junction from the bin folders in each SQ instance to that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

I’m no expert but it worked for me.

munchie

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 63 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #138268

thank you gary and karish, its very useful. im looking at the junction point method that you are using gary but will explore karish link as well. in the case of junction links, do you have issues with slower performance or delays in drawing data since you have 3 SQ instances simultaneously calling data from one central bin folder?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)