Best optimization time frame?

2 replies

WJPII

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 118 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #267981

I am really struggling on how to get a decent performing EA from SQX specifically due to the length of time by the time it gets to the optimizer portion.  In other words, I have tried to start in builder with 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, 5 year and 10 year.  I obviously will get a lot more EA’s when building from just 1 month to 1 year.  But, then when retesting and going to optimization with 5 year or 10 year everything gets wiped out.

So for those of you who have been using SQX for a while, what flow do you use to get to a decent 10 year optimized EA?  I can easily create ones that look great and in a faster period of time for 1 year.  But I am finding it impossible to get anything that doesn’t lose money over 10 years.

Thanks for the community help.

Oliver

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 121 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #267984

your post raises so many questions. maybe best to start with the course which comes with the purchase and follow that for a while.

WJPII

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 118 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #267987

Thank you for the response.

I have watched the entire series of courses from strategy quant.  Of course I do not remember every single thing that was reviewed.  It was more informative on forex, methods, etc than actually how to move from one back testing time period to another through optimization and back to testing.  There is another series of videos that actually helped more (link below), but again, I am checking with the community on what has been the general consensus on what period of time to start building, retesting, optimizing, then back to retesting and optimizing.  It obviously becomes very challenging to start with building based on a 10-15 year period of time and do walk forwards, optimizing, etc based solely on that huge time frame.  Especially if the TF for the chart is M30 and under.

At some point, I want to be able to show a stable EA over the course of 10 years.

I am still investigating.  But would like just general feedback.  Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Mey61CrWbihP2_PLb-Kw

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)