Best settings for Daily Strategies

4 replies

Oliver

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 121 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257610

Hello Community

Im looking to build some Daily time frame based strategies for FX.

Im assuming robustness testing them in line with the quastic courses should not be an issue.

To narrow down my time to build im pondering over which setting I should use

stop loss sizes?

profit target or no profit target?

symmetrical settings for long and short or single strategies for each direction?

simple or fuzzy logic strategies?

filtering – over 6 years of build (3 years in sample, 3 years out of sample) trade numbers? profit factor? return vs draw down?

thanks in advance

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257622

the answers you need to know personally – how could we know what strategies you want?

you want to closefriday or not – week gaps could be a problem

you want to catch longer trends, or not? setting SL and TP must be different for each type…

what market you will be trading – every market has his own volatility and SL and PT need to be adjusted to it

etc. etc. etc.

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

gottogethelp

Customer, bbp_participant, 30 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257851

Hi hankeys. My question is pretty similar to this thread.

I’m starting to get to grips with the size of the number of indicator/parameter/operator etc etc permutations. Even if you’re selecting a single entry rule with a fixed exit it’s a pretty big number in the googolplex region I’m sure (well maybe not that big but certainly bigger than I can comprehend).

What confuses me is that there are quite a few people on here that recommend random generation with loads of signals/indicators/operators turned on. However,  in this scenario you could be generating strategies at 1m per hour and it would still take hundreds (maybe thousands) of years to get through all of them. That would mean the chances of you finding a solid strategy are very very low.

From your message above it sounds like you narrow this space down first? A few specific questions I have on this are:

1. How many indicators will you typically select for a ‘run’? How do you select them?

2. What is typically the max number of steps per parameter you allow?

3. Do you ever calculate the total number of parameters permutations as a sense check before you start generating?

More generally… above you mention thinking of the strategy you want first but how does that translate into decisions you take?  If it’s not too much to ask… it would be fantastic if you could give a quick example of your thought process for searching for a specific type of strategy. For example a breakout strategy in a medium volatility, highly trending market.

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257878

i am using mostly all indicators, but i try everytime a little bit different settings – IS/OOS dates, SL/TP values…TP required or not, etc. etc.

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

gottogethelp

Customer, bbp_participant, 30 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257879

Thanks. How much do you play with the min/max/step of parameters?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)