Can i run SQ in a VPS? It works?

4 replies

Eduardo

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 0 replies.

Visit profile

6 years ago #197835

Hello, here’s my problem: Last week I had purchased SQ, but when I begin to make developments on my computer everything blows up, SQ is using all the memory of my PC (i have only 4GB of RAM).

My only solution (other than buying a new PC, which I’m planning to do) is to run SQ in a VPS in the meantime. Any of you know if SQ can be run in a VPS? There’s any VPS that can handle the amount of memory that SQ uses?

As you can see I have a big problem because I have the software but I cannot run it, so any suggestion on how I can solve this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eduardo.

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

6 years ago #197849

Hello,

no need to buy a new PC. A simple RAM upgrade would be enough (not expensive nowadays can be 2 or 3 months price of VPS) I guess since SQ can run on older CPUs without any problems (slower of course). You can also use performance tweaks shown in this topic https://strategyquant.com/forum/topic/2968-how-to-tune-sq-for-max-performance-and-reduce-memory-usage-by-4-to-5-times/ to reduce RAM consumption

It is not a problem to run SQ on VP servers but in case of license verification problem you will need an offline license. You can contact [email protected] for this but please run the LicenseOffline_SQ.exe file in the SQ folder and paste the key into the email

Eduardo

Visit profile

6 years ago #197857

Thank you Thomas. What is the maximum RAM that SQ is allowed to use ? I want to know that for planning how much RAM should i buy (i have seen in other threads that SQ cannot use more than 8GB of RAM, so i’m not sure) Can i subscribe more RAM usage to SQ than the maximum allowed?

Thank you.

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

6 years ago #197888

Hello Eduardo,

the maximum memory used by StrategyQuant is determined automatically during start depending on the size of your RAM.
If you want to run SQ with more memory you can use command line option:

StrategyQuant64.exe -J-Xmx12g <- for 12 GB The most convenient way to do this is to create a .bat file that will contain this parameter.

Roboter

Visit profile

6 years ago #197920

before you upgrade ram you need to check  how many dimms you can put onto your motherboard and how much ram will it support.  Sometimes it is 8 sometimes 16 GB. if you have 32bit windows system you will have problem to use more than 4 GB of RAM.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)