Monte Carlo

11 replies

Matthew Finch

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 0 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247478

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could kindly share their approach to using Monte Carlo within SQ. I currently have 10,000 EURUSD strategies and I want to decrease this amount down to the top 100 and create some portfolios from there.

I was thinking to repeat-apply Monte Carlo until all 9,900 strategies have been eliminated, what do you think?

Is there a standard number of iterations that people are using – I read that 10,000 iterations gives something like a 95% confidence level. Of course, we cannot have a 100% confidence level, but I am just looking to get a close as the program will allow, while still leaving me some breathing room and not eliminating everything.

My start point would be for 10,000 strategies – use 100 iterations to reduce the number; gradually increase the iterations (to save time, decrease the sample quicker and ensure I don’t overshoot and eliminate everything)

Thank you,

Matthew

tnickel

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 488 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247479

I use most times 200-500 iterations for the montecarlo

https://monitortool.jimdofree.com/

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247481

did you already made some not so time consuming tests – like higher/lower TF, another market, etc.

because running MC tests on 10000 strs is not reasonable

how did you get those strategies, did you try another settings, or this is only one setting at all?

did you have only test on all EURUSD data?

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

Venus

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, customer, sq-ultimate, 33 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247489

Hi Matthew,

I agree with Hankeys. Once you have loads of strategies created in the builder mode, it is a good idea to start with “fast” robustness tests in the retester and work from top to bottom. It is best to only work with the slower tests once you already removed the majority of your strategies with the faster tests. See also the tutorials of SQ.

Matthew Finch

Visit profile

4 years ago #247490

Hi,

Thanks, I am not going to test my currency pair just on Monte Carlo – I also use

1. Retest with different spread / slippage

2. Retest with Higher Precision

3. Retest with different timeframes and currencies

Since those 3 tests are not random, I thought Monte Carlo should come at the end of the testing cycle. Since Monte Carlo is random, it can give different results each time you run it, so I think its useful to reduce a number of tests which also pass the above.

Do you agree about the order? Maybe there is no “right answer” but Im thinking there should be a uniform approach.

In answer to your question, these are randomly generated with some loose ranking criteria (NP; RDD; Stability; Stagnation, #trades) etc. I tend not to change the settings (you mean spread / % traded etc?) during the generation process since I found that can adversely affect the retesting since some strats are more outside the range than others.

Matthew Finch

Visit profile

4 years ago #247491

Thank you, yes – I will look to work from top to bottom – the Monte Carlo tests take a long time, so its better to do those on lesser number of strategies – that was my suspicion and you have confirmed it, thanks 🙂

Do we agree with TNickel that 200-500 iterations are good, or should I keep going until and hitting “RETEST” until my databank has 100 strats in there?

I was reading around the statistical approach and the more iterations there are, which pass, the more robust the test – so I was wondering is there is an optimal number to aim for, in a general sense.

hankeys

Visit profile

4 years ago #247492

my approach is different – i dont like BIG basic packs of strategies generated with the same settings…

i am using for now custom projects where i run all tasks together and work only with a “final” strategies

for MC tests i am using 200 iterations

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

Eowithrand

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 0 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247493

I don’t know whether it is optimal or not but I prefer 1000 iterations. I’ve reached this conclusion by exploring with 100 iterations. If 100 iterations are employed, the remaining strategies tend to change for each MC run. When 1000 iterations are employed same strategies started to pass MC test regardless how many times the test conducted.

Matthew Finch

Visit profile

4 years ago #247500

Interesting, thank you !

hankeys

Visit profile

4 years ago #247503

it could depend on what MC test you are doing – for example MC RANDOMIZE TRADES EXACT, there is endless combinations, and you can make this test repeatedly and you will come to a point, that no strategy will left you

its only probabilistic methods with some value of confidence

on the other side – MC test change parameters, where you set the probability  and max change – so you are limiting the range where the MC tests will be done

hankeys

Visit profile

4 years ago #247504

making 1000 iterations on MC test change params is waste of time by my opinion

also MC test spread and slippage, there you could very well live with 20 iterations only, because the range of values is not huge…its nonsense to make 200 iterationg for slippage 1-5 for example

Matthew Finch

Visit profile

4 years ago #247534

Thanks everyone. I am not sure yet how to use the workflow tools but will get around to that when I have a full license.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)