Not logged in
Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)

Forums>StrategyQuant>General Discussion>PC setups, configurations, benchmarks and general recommendations

• #257448 |
    Customer
    29 Posts

Hi all. Looking to get a new PC (3900X based) and have a few questions that I’m not sure have been answered yet on this thread.

– How important is a fast SSD for SQ, e.g. PCIe 4.0 m.2? From what I understand most of the work is done using RAM?

– Would I notice much difference from a) faster MHz RAM, e.g. 3200 vs 4000 and/or b) dual vs quad channel memory?

– Is there anything to watch out for when choosing a motherboard? I’m going to get the PC built so this is more performance limitations rather than space

– Does Windows 10 version matter?

ivan
    Participant
    143 Posts

SSD:  PCIe 4.0 is only very recently been adopted and for now, only a few products are available. Samsung will adopt the new standard only this year in 2020 with the 980 Pro. All other mainstream models are on PCIe 3.0 but from the reviews you can see there is not much gain in performance, at least not for SQ tasks. So regarding SSD, you can buy very confident an existing M.2 SSD from Samsung on PCIe 3.0. it will be more than enough.

RAM:  we must start by saying that AM4 platform, more specifically all AM4 chipsets, B450, X470 and X570 support only dual channel memory. This is because AM4 is designed as mainstream performance, not HEDT (high end desktop). If you want quad channel memory on AMD, you need TR4 platform, meaning Threadrippers.

Most AM4 motherboards have support for up to 3000 Mhz native and 3600 Mhz overclock. so if you buy a memory with a range between 2800 – 3600 Mhz, you will get almost the maximum posible. You can technicaly mount a higher frequency memory than 3600 Mhz buy you wont gain much and those are too expensive anyway.

The comparison tests available on the internet regarding dual vs quad channel memory on TR4 platform, show a modest increase in performance. Specifically, in SQ is probably around 10% increase in performance.

Motherboard: if you go for AM4 platform, then any of the more recent chipsets will be ok: B450, X470 or the flagship and more expensive X570. You can choose from 2 more common used form factors or dimensions, standard ATX 24,4×30,5 cm or micro-ATX 24,4×24,4 cm. It is better to choose something that has M.2 slot onboard and 2 or 3 system fan connectors, although even with one, you can use a splitter cable because you will have at least 2 or 3 case fans. Most used brands are Asus, MSI, Gigabyte….etc.

Windows: the version of windows, depends on whether you use the desktop solely for SQ generating and keeping the MT4 platforms, or also for home use like browsing, movies. I dont recomend this use. If you can use the desktop only for SQ, i would say Windows Server is more apropriate because it has fewer updates, more simple. Performance wise, it doesnt matter if you use server or desktop version of Windows. Choosing windows is for stability, not performance.

Timisoara, Romania
    3700X 3.6 Ghz 8 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

ivan
    Participant
    143 Posts

the power supply efficiency is also important given the fact that the system runs 24 hours a day, its important to buy and mount a Platinum efficiency. Titanium doesn’t worth because is only 2% more efficient and a lot more expensive.

Timisoara, Romania

Customer
    29 Posts

Thanks Ivan – this is fantastic advice. Appreciate the comprehensive reply.

Gianfranco
    Customer
    110 Posts

hello ivan I would like to ask you  have cpu amd ,for sqx and indispensable activate from bios virtualization or not ?thank gianfranco

ivan
    Participant
    143 Posts

Virtualization is for a different purpose entirely, is to run virtual operating systems, severs, it doesn’t have an impact on performance when not running a virtual machine

so enabling this feature for SQ, doesn’t have any relevance

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by ivanivan.

Timisoara, Romania

Gianfranco
    Customer
    110 Posts

ok   thanks….

mike
    Customer
    8 Posts

Ivan thanks for info.  Looking at a AMD Ryzen 3600 6 core 3.6 4.4 max boost .  MSI B450M  64GB of DDR4 3000

ivan
    Participant
    143 Posts

i am happy i could be of help

regarding the 3600, is a very good processor, although almost too “lite” for SQ, or too weak

but….you can make an upgrade plan on the longer term, in autumn when the new 4000 series will launch, the existing 3000 will have huge discounts and you can make then an upgrade to a 3700X or 3900X. Just make sure you have the infrastructure in place, meaning you buy a good power supply and a pc case with lots of air intake and filters

Timisoara, Romania

Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.