PC setups, configurations, benchmarks and general recommendations

127 replies

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #250166

Because the interest is high among new users of SQX (i saw many topics with the same goal), i thought it would be a good idea to concentrate everything hardware related in one topic where new users but also more experienced ones, can easely find in one place what they are looking for. What to buy, what configuration, air or liquid cooled…etc.

This topic is designed to help users in choosing the most apropriate hardware configuration according to their budget, a new computer or an upgrade. Also, posting benchmarks for processors, general raw performance benchmarks as a guide but also examples of settings in SQX and the resulting performance for others to have an idea what expectations they can have from a certain processor.

I am sure the contribution of the more experienced users will be greatly appreciated by everyone.

For starters, in the following days and weeks, i will post different results (pairs and timeframes) on my configuration, an AMD 3700X (3,6Ghz 8 cores) and 32GB RAM.

To be relevant, we can agree on a minimum criteria, for example, each setting must be run at least 24 hours, and we can agree to count the accepted strategies/hour (in databank).

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #257449

SSD:  PCIe 4.0 is only very recently been adopted and for now, only a few products are available. Samsung will adopt the new standard only this year in 2020 with the 980 Pro. All other mainstream models are on PCIe 3.0 but from the reviews you can see there is not much gain in performance, at least not for SQ tasks. So regarding SSD, you can buy very confident an existing M.2 SSD from Samsung on PCIe 3.0. it will be more than enough.

RAM:  we must start by saying that AM4 platform, more specifically all AM4 chipsets, B450, X470 and X570 support only dual channel memory. This is because AM4 is designed as mainstream performance, not HEDT (high end desktop). If you want quad channel memory on AMD, you need TR4 platform, meaning Threadrippers.

Most AM4 motherboards have support for up to 3000 Mhz native and 3600 Mhz overclock. so if you buy a memory with a range between 2800 – 3600 Mhz, you will get almost the maximum posible. You can technicaly mount a higher frequency memory than 3600 Mhz buy you wont gain much and those are too expensive anyway.

The comparison tests available on the internet regarding dual vs quad channel memory on TR4 platform, show a modest increase in performance. Specifically, in SQ is probably around 10% increase in performance.

Motherboard: if you go for AM4 platform, then any of the more recent chipsets will be ok: B450, X470 or the flagship and more expensive X570. You can choose from 2 more common used form factors or dimensions, standard ATX 24,4×30,5 cm or micro-ATX 24,4×24,4 cm. It is better to choose something that has M.2 slot onboard and 2 or 3 system fan connectors, although even with one, you can use a splitter cable because you will have at least 2 or 3 case fans. Most used brands are Asus, MSI, Gigabyte….etc.

Windows: the version of windows, depends on whether you use the desktop solely for SQ generating and keeping the MT4 platforms, or also for home use like browsing, movies. I dont recomend this use. If you can use the desktop only for SQ, i would say Windows Server is more apropriate because it has fewer updates, more simple. Performance wise, it doesnt matter if you use server or desktop version of Windows. Choosing windows is for stability, not performance.

Timisoara, Romania

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #257453

the power supply efficiency is also important given the fact that the system runs 24 hours a day, its important to buy and mount a Platinum efficiency. Titanium doesn’t worth because is only 2% more efficient and a lot more expensive.

Timisoara, Romania

gottogethelp

Customer, bbp_participant, 30 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #257454

Thanks Ivan – this is fantastic advice. Appreciate the comprehensive reply.

Gianfranco

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 114 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #257457

hello ivan I would like to ask you  have cpu amd ,for sqx and indispensable activate from bios virtualization or not ?thank gianfranco

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #257471

Virtualization is for a different purpose entirely, is to run virtual operating systems, severs, it doesn’t have an impact on performance when not running a virtual machine

so enabling this feature for SQ, doesn’t have any relevance

Timisoara, Romania

Gianfranco

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 114 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #257473

ok   thanks….

mike

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, customer, 14 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #257479

Ivan thanks for info.  Looking at a AMD Ryzen 3600 6 core 3.6 4.4 max boost .  MSI B450M  64GB of DDR4 3000

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #257526

i am happy i could be of help

regarding the 3600, is a very good processor, although almost too “lite” for SQ, or too weak

but….you can make an upgrade plan on the longer term, in autumn when the new 4000 series will launch, the existing 3000 will have huge discounts and you can make then an upgrade to a 3700X or 3900X. Just make sure you have the infrastructure in place, meaning you buy a good power supply and a pc case with lots of air intake and filters

Timisoara, Romania

extpan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 6 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #259068

Hi Ivan,

many thanks for all suggestion. I got new machine with 3700x  as you suggested many times is a good entry point.  🙂 What setting you are using when running 24/7 @100% CPU? I just tried for 8hr and my temperature is at 85c with stock fan. Do I need better fans or water cooling or is it ok to run at 80-85c? Or should I lower voltage a little and set 4,3 OC?

Thanks for reply

ivan

Visit profile

3 years ago #259197

ok, lets take those one at a time

regarding overclocking, as you can see in every review from tom’s hardware, gudu3d, anandtech and others, overclocking AMD Ryzen processors doesn’t worth it

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_3700x_ryzen_9_3900x_review,27.html

“the positives do not outweigh the negatives”

so always run the processor at default

temperatures: 85C is the upper limit and dangerous on the longer term. Special care must be taken not for the processors temperatures but for the motherboards (VRM, voltage regulator module) because according to studies and reviews, the capacitors are sensitive to heat, anything above 60C reduces the lifespan of the capacitors. The motherboard has several sensors and software to show those temperatures.

Conclusion: its not ok the run the system 24/7 at 80-85C and solutions must be searched to lower the temperature, not only for the processor but for the entire system.

Possible solutions:

putting larger, 140 mm case fans and improving the airflow of the case,

putting a bigger, stronger air cooler with at least 120 mm fan or ideally 140 mm fan and at least 4 heatpipes. Example: Cryorig H5 Ultimate, Bequiet Shadow Rock 3…etc.

changing the location of the computer case at put it somewhere cold unheated and vented space like under an open window. The ambient temperature must not exced 24C. Anything above is stressful and a temperature of 26C – 27C is already considered to high to have a system like that running.

Usually, the norm is that the processor must not exceed 65C, otherwise the cooling is not enough.

Regarding air versus cooling solutions, again, from the reviews, any model up to and including 3900X can be decently cooled with air coolers. Only 3950X is too hot and liquid cooling is mandatory. So in normal conditions, a 3700X should not be a problem for a performance cooler. Only if the room ambient temperature is high and another location is imposible to find, a liquid cooler is necesary.

Timisoara, Romania

ivan

Visit profile

3 years ago #259198

regarding changing the location, you can put only the computer case with a USB wireless adapter in some warehouse and using it remotely through Windows remote desktop connection. This is very convenient especially for those who like at the countryside at a house, not an apartment. But even those who live in apartament, its possible to find a corner in a balcony, of course where the rain or hail doesn’t reach.

Timisoara, Romania

extpan

Visit profile

3 years ago #259201

Thanks for so many good information. Will try 1 by 1.  🙂 Ambient temperature is around 22-23, but will try with new PC case. (Current is WARMACHINE X- extreme airflof edition with 1 huge side fan and 1 fan front and 1 back. When just surfing, and do some work on PC motherboard is already around 54-56c?

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

ivan

Visit profile

3 years ago #259207

the idle and minimum activity temperatures are too high, should be around 35- 40C

the ambient temperature is very ok so the problem is somewhere else

i am not familiar with that PC case, is this the one ?   http://empiregaming.eu/empire-warmachine/

can you post a picture or link?

the fan configuration should be a minimum of 4 fans: 2 x 120 mm fans in front for intake, and 2 x 120 mm fans for exhaust, one in the back and one top side. The power supply should have a separate exterior ventilation, bottom mounting with back exhaust.

Timisoara, Romania

ivan

Visit profile

3 years ago #259208

what CPU cooler are you using?

Timisoara, Romania

extpan

Visit profile

3 years ago #259213

-Maybe is too high because of few HDD(39-40c each) will try to turn all off

-CPU cooler is stock one that come with 3700x

-didn’t change any settings  except DDR4 ram I put 3000mhz profile in bios (DDR4 32GB (2×16) Corsair 3000MHz LPX Black
C16, CMK32GX4M2D3000C16)

-motherboard say 55-57c without any hard use of cpu

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

Viewing 15 replies - 91 through 105 (of 127 total)

1 2 3 6 7 8 9