Not logged in
Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)

Forums>StrategyQuant>General Discussion>PC setups, configurations, benchmarks and general recommendations

• #256940 |
    ivan
    Participant
    127 Posts

@hankeys: i plan to open a separate thread with workflow as the only subject because this is not related to hardware

in a dedicate thread we can detail, explain and recommend general workflows, targeted to beginners because those simple recommendation wont be of any interest for advanced traders

Timisoara, Romania
    3700X 3.6 Ghz 8 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

ivan
    Participant
    127 Posts

for power supply unit, i think its relevant something i have read some time ago:

“In our opinion, power supplies are investments. Aside from enabling lower electricity bills, good PSUs also protect your PC hardware in case something goes wrong and extend the life of your components through clean power. The more ripple in a PSU’s rail, the lower the DC quality and higher the stress on voltage regulation circuitry. The same goes for increased voltage deviations, which also apply huge stress on VRMs. This is why ripple suppression and load regulation are the key factors for a PSU’s performance, with efficiency following closely.”

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-p2-platinum-psu,4566-10.html

i am putting here the standards:
    80 PLUS Bronze 82%
    80 PLUS Silver 85%
    80 PLUS Gold 87%
    80 PLUS Platinum 90%
    80 PLUS Titanium 92%

The rule of thumb or good practice for PSU is something between Bronze sau Platinum, double the wattage of the system and a model from a good brand, Seasonic or a platform from CWT or Fortron, meaning something from Corsair, EVGA, Bequiet.

Timisoara, Romania

Gianfranco
    Customer
    93 Posts

hi Ivan…new pc is ready….ryzen 9 3900x   liquid cooler…ssd pciexpress 4.0      MB   new chip set

bench….95000/100-000    str/h

I thought something more…..

thanks gianfranco

ivan
    Participant
    127 Posts

please run the config file from hankeys to have a better image of the performance

Timisoara, Romania

Gianfranco
    Customer
    93 Posts

hi   config file of what ?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Gianfranco
    Customer
    93 Posts

where is config file from hankeys

Customer
    352 Posts

there used to be prepared some basic building process so the users could compare their PC specs…but for now its old, because we have already new builds and many changes was made

truth is, that you have very good specs, but how many “profitable” strategies will you be producing is more in the setting itself and your knowledge, not the PC specs

You want to be a profitable algotrader? Sharing of final strategies with real traders just started. Fill in this FORM. 1500+ final SQ3 and SQX strategies for members running on demo accounts DEMO ACCS. We provide also strategies for indices - DAX and DOW JONES, because we have realtick data from brokers.

Gianfranco
    Customer
    93 Posts

I’m not doing a race to see who has the most powerful computer…. this discussion is about the characteristics of computers in relation to price and consumption…… It’s still true that if you have more power you can do more things in less time. it’s you can study and the faster you can notice the mistakes

ivan
    Participant
    127 Posts

@Gianfranco: what liquid cooling solution you have and what PC case ?

hankeys is right that the old config file is not relevant anymore

i think that 3900X is a very good processor and very efficient in power consumption for the performance it has. Someone, anyone with decent knowledge in SQ should get decent results

in my case, with a 3700X, i got modest results, only on 3 pairs, GBPJPY, GBPUSD and XAUUSD on M30 – H4 timeframes but the best strategies are around 40 pips/trade and aprox 100 pips/month.

I couldn’t get any decent strategy on M15 on any pair because 3700X is too weak and it would get me too much time, probably at least 2 weeks of generating. That is why, in my opinion, anyone with a processor weaker than 3700X or more energy inefficient, wont be able to get any decent, stable, working strategy, except for Daily timeframe, but those would take years of testing. To have at least 6 – 8 closed transactions on Daily, you need at least a year.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 8 hours ago by ivanivan.

Timisoara, Romania

Gianfranco
    Customer
    93 Posts

they had sent me an offer for dual xeon platinum workstations 8160 64 gb ram ssd nvme basic video card for about 1800 euros.. but unfortunately I had already just taken this

Gianfranco
    Customer
    93 Posts

..liquid cooling ..but corsair with 2 fans n hidro series  h100 i pro    very silent

ivan
    Participant
    127 Posts

Xeon Platinum 8160 is a very recent and powerful processor, Skylake based, 24 cores. A desktop, be it a server, with 2 of those processors is a beast in terms of performance but also power consumption. Such a dual CPU configuration is on par with the most recent Threadrippers.

Regarding the price, 3 years ago when released, one processor was 4.000 EUR. If someone reliable offered you a dual configuration for just 1.800 EUR, that’s exceptional if not almost too good to be true.

Timisoara, Romania

Gianfranco
    Customer
    93 Posts

it is on ebay   from

is a seller who took some servers etc etc. from engineering and architecture studies because these studios are closed

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.