Robustness Testing on Futures vs Forex

5 replies

alexb47

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 21 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #261618

Hello there,

Reading the e-books provided on the bonus section for currencies and futures I’ve noticed that the recommended robustness test on currencies is much more detailed than with futures, while for currencies  the e-book talks about retesting with OOS, slippage, other markets, different MCs and WFM, the futures e-book only talks about testing OOS.

Is the robustness test difference on the e-books driven by the markets’ differences? Should we be applying the same robustness test on both the forex and futures markets?

Where can I find additional info on appropriate robustness tests for futures?

Thank you in advance and you all have a great weekend!

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #261627

Hello,

the OOS test is probably the most important one. Still you can apply any robustness test you find useful with your strategy even with futures and I would recommend to do so. But you do not have to be that strict with filtering criteria. We consider futures, especially index futures, to be easier to work with compared to major forex pairs. It is really quite easy to find a strategy for index futures. One of the main reason is the obvious long-term long bias.. Another good thing is the daily life market cycle. Forex compared to that is one big 24h hours lasting chaos 🙂

You should definitely do the WF test, the randomization test, the slippage test and ideally also the additional markets test

alexb47

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 21 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #261692

Thank you Tomas

Leandro Otturi

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 5 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #271115

Hi! which other Market would you suggest to test nasdaq cfd? I tested on sp500 and gold and both are testing negative

The original strategy (on nasdaq)  have pass all the follwing tests: slippage + other time frame + OOS + MC retest + MC volatility + WFM (as robustness test)

But as I said before, not with other markets.

Thanks!

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #271526

Hi,

Nasdaq is a part of US indexes family so you can test any of those like US30, R2000, SP1500 if available in your platform. You can also test non-US indexes, especially German DAX (DE30) etc

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #271532

if you want to test on another markets for indices you can choose only another index

gold or forex pairs will not work, because the piptick size and step are totally different

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)