Ryzen 3900x and 3950x – how to fix high load temps

3 replies

Insanity82007

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 30 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260194

I’ve recently bought a Ryzen 3900x system with 32GB of RAM for generating strategies. It’s a great setup and I get a lot done with it! 🙂

I did a lot of research and had some issues with setting it all up, so I thought I would share my experiences with those of you looking to build a similar setup for SQX.

Initially though, I had issues with high load temps and I wanted to share some information with those of you who are looking at using the latest gen Ryzen CPUs to build SQX strategies.

I did a lot of research before buying the rig and I had a particular focus on keeping my CPU temps low. I looked at a lot of case reviews and a lot of reviews for AIO watercooling.

In the end I stuck with my trusty old Silverstone Raven 2 case and decided to go with air cooling. Even though my Raven 2 is about 10 years old, in many reviews it was by far the coolest case still on the market because Silverstone are THE ONLY case makers on the market who orientate the motherboard 90 degrees. This means that your motherboard / graphics / sound card plugs are on top of the case instead of on the side like normal.

The case comes with 3 very large cooling fans at the bottom of the case and pushes the air out the top, using a chimney type effect and it works much better than most other case designs because it takes full advantage of the concept of thermodynamics and pushed all of the rising heat straight out of the top of the case, instead of having issues like the GPU head rising into the CPU cooling fan. Big win.

If I’d gone with a more modern case I would have had temps up to 10C hotter, which would have negated the maybe 5C to 10C gain I would have gotten from using an AIO and this was an unnecessary expense.

In the end I went with the Noctua NH-D15, which is a MASSIVE beast of an air cooler and has been the coolest air cooling solution on the market for some time. Not only does the CPU benefit nicely from this big cooler, but the VRMs and RAM also get some nice cool air on them too.

Even with all of this (or if I’d gone with the AIO), I still had cooling issues. When I first set everything up, my load temps were still sitting between 68C and 75C, which I was very uncomfortable with, even if this is supposedly within spec.

I did some research and found that, for some reason, because these CPUs and the X570 / B550 / X470 motherboards are still relatively new tech, and have a lot of maturing to do, the motherboard manufacturers commonly over-volt the CPU.

I did some further research and eventually came across these 2 videos, which helped me IMMENSELY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssuqhyqah2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wM3obN2pAE

I have now set my CPU to 3.9Ghz for all cores /  threads and my CPU voltage to 1.125v using Ryzen Master and my load temps never go past 50C and I’m MUCH happier with this and I’m still generating strategies about 95% as fast as before, but with much safer settings! 🙂

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260232

the fact that some motherboard vendors elevate the default settings in order to compete with each other, is an old practice and not limited to AMD but this is not widespread and only to more expensive chipsets

as for temperatures, the 3900X runs only 4 – 5 C hotter than the 3700X (which i have) and its a very simple setup, not an intellectual or logistical challenge, A modern, compact mini ATX case with air cooling.

the 3950X on the other hand, runs around 10 C hotter than 3900X and liquid cooling is mandatory, except maybe only in Nordic countries or in houses with air conditioning in summer

entry level chipsets like B550 are more than adequate for this particular job

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260302

“the 3950X on the other hand, runs around 10 C hotter than 3900X and liquid cooling is mandatory, except maybe only in Nordic countries or in houses with air conditioning in summer”

I am running my 3950X overclocked(!) and air-cooled with a Dark Rock 4 Pro without any issues 24/7 with SQ and even LinPack Extreme or Prime95 and never get > 80°C (95°C is the limit for this CPU). So liquid cooling is NOT needed – can´t hear that nonsense anymore, as most modern air coolers are on par with liquid coolers and even kill some of them (just see YouTube for examples and tests).

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260311

the reason behind the thing i said (thing i didnt invent personaly but read from more experienced technicians and official motherboard manufacturers instructions) is to protect not the processor itself but the solid capacitors on the motherboard and/or graphic card. Those have a lifespan of aprox 22 years at constant 65C and only 2,5 years at 83 – 85C

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)