Server renting

5 replies

Roberto

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 8 replies.

Visit profile

6 years ago #233183

Is there a server renting with Windows and remote desktop to use with SQ?

I’ve found some server at cherryservers.com, but a bit expensive.

Do you have some provider to advice? Did you have experience with these service? AWS is fast?

Thank you

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

6 years ago #233203

Hello,

I would recommend to start using SQ on own home station instead. If you are an advanced user then you can use VPS paid power more effectively compared to a novice user. I would go for AWS most likely if VPS is used

Roberto

Visit profile

6 years ago #233210

Thank you. I’ve seen a 56 thread server in some videos, I think it’s a dual xeon pc.

My budget for hardware is high, I was thinking about the best performance server/workstation/rent.

A dual xeon costs about 5.000$ more or less and a good renting system 400$ per month but you have the pc Always on and you don’t need to hear the noise cooler 😉

Could you suggest the best between XEON and i9 extreme 18 core? Thanks

Mark Fric

Visit profile

6 years ago #233234

Roberto, I think buying 56 core system for $5000 is not worth it, you’ll be paying a very big premium for the added power.

I have 48 core 2x Xeon server at home, and I bought it at around 2000 Eur, it is custom build from older components. This might be a better way to go.

If you want hosting, I’m not aware of any provider who offers dual Xeons, but I can recommend Hetzner for cheap and yet powerful dedicated servers, they offer 24 core  AMD EPYC 7401P for around 200 eur: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-ax

If you’ll choose anything make sure it has SSD or NVMe disc.

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

Roberto

Visit profile

6 years ago #233235

Roberto, I think buying 56 core system for $5000 is not worth it, you’ll be paying a very big premium for the added power. I have 48 core 2x Xeon server at home, and I bought it at around 2000 Eur, it is custom build from older components. This might be a better way to go. If you want hosting, I’m not aware of any provider who offers dual Xeons, but I can recommend Hetzner for cheap and yet powerful dedicated servers, they offer 24 core AMD EPYC 7401P for around 200 eur: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-ax If you’ll choose anything make sure it has SSD or NVMe disc.

Thank you for replay. I’ll search for a cheaper 2x xeon as you suggest. I think you mean 48 threads, 24 core for your home configuration, right?

In case I’d like to buy more than a server, is there a discount for a second licence? Thanks

tomas262

Visit profile

6 years ago #233237

Roberto, we offer one additional (Starter) license for free for each Pro license bought with StrategyQuant 3. The Starter license can be used the same as the Pro one but for optimization purpose you move your strategies to Pro station. If you need more Pro stations we can give you an individual pricing solution

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)