Stop loss by the position period will help you make profit.

4 replies

eastpeace

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 305 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #268302

SQ  X is a great tool. It will help you develop strategy quickly.  BUT you had better have a philosophical understanding of  the trading system or trading.

Trend, and the choppy swing will alternate in the market. Trend, swing, trend, swing …

So there are two basic method, trend follow and counter-trend.

The trend in the 1 hour time frame may be a swing in the day time frame. And If you want trade the swing in 1 hour time frame, maybe you can trade the trend in 5 minute time frame. But the smaller the time frame, the greater the market noise, and the favorable moving  is too small to cover your trading losses, so it is not easy to make money.

Trend-following trading is a robust  method, except in the field of high-frequency trading. That is the way.

“IN A LOSING GAME SUCH AS TRADING, WE SHALL START AGAINST THE MAJORITY AND ASSUME – WE ARE WRONG UNTIL PROVEN CORRECT! (We do not assume we are correct until proven wrong.) POSITIONS ESTABLISHED MUST BE REDUCED AND REMOVED UNTIL OR UNLESS THE MARKET PROVES THE POSITION CORRECT! (We allow the market to verify correct positions.)”

——  Phantom of the Pits

There is an exit method by the position period in SQ X, Exit after X bars.  If it can distinguish between position with profit and loss, I will be very willing to use it, and believe that it can improve the performance of our strategy.

Something is like this.

1, Exit after 3 bars if the position with loss great than 100 pip, or 0.5*ATR.

Exit after 15 bars if the position with profit great than 150 pip, or 1.5 * ATR.

2. OR USE Exit after bars with loss only.

There is a request issue already, but the description is not very detailed. And I hope the development team can pay attention to this feature.

https://roadmap.strategyquant.com/tasks/sq4_7356

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #268361

Hello,

thanks for the tips. That’s a good book – Phantom of the Pits. There are some good points and insights worth considering

What you suggest about the “Exit after # bars” function – if position is losing money after certain amount of time you would trim or close it – it can be done using AlgoWizard though …

It is quite easy to setup this. Have you tried yet? Let me know I can help

eastpeace

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 305 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #268427

Yes, I know that we can do it in the custom template.

But I hope that it could  natively support this feature.

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #268431

It shouldn’t be a problem to  make it in codeeditor

Jo Safi

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 3 replies.

Visit profile

11 months ago #282054

Trend-following and counter-trend trading are two basic methods, with different time frames presenting different challenges and opportunities.

You mentioned that trend-following trading can be a robust method, except in high-frequency trading. It is important to approach trading with a mindset of assuming you are wrong until proven correct and allowing the market to verify correct positions.

You also mentioned the need for an exit method based on position period in SQ X, such as exiting after a certain number of bars with a specific loss or profit threshold. This could potentially improve the performance of your trading strategy.

It’s great that you have already submitted a request for this feature, although you mentioned that the description may not be very detailed. It is important for the development team to pay attention to this feature and consider implementing it in SQ X.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)