Some real success using StrategyQuant

22 replies

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #114163

Hi folks,

Here’s some proof of success on a live trading account.

Expert Advisor Live Account

Behind this signal is an MT4 EA that was created and tested using SQ. I modified the EA code somewhat, but at it’s heart it is the same as the strategy generated and tested using SQ.

I am selling the EA on MQL5 website, so it is a double success, make money with the EA trading a live account, and sell the EA too.

Forex Spark EA

Early days yet, but it has generated some sales. Hoping to recoup the cost of SQ soon with a selection of Expert advisors created using this great piece of software.

Just wanted to post this as feedback to users, the SQ team and prospective SQ buyers.

mikeyc

Visit profile

7 years ago #137415

I’m still waiting for someone to show me this Holy Grail of a 1000 diversified portfolio of strategies, on a live account, making 100% gain in a few months with low drawdown…. 😉

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137426

Its holding up, currently one of the nicest SQ public portfolios.

Threshold

Visit profile

7 years ago #137427

I’m still waiting for someone to show me this Holy Grail of a 1000 diversified portfolio of strategies, on a live account, making 100% gain in a few months with low drawdown…. 😉

10 can be done pretty easily, but there is no such thing as “diversified” in forex. All the currencies movements are interlinked. In futures its so easy. I wish your EA luck going forward. Time is the hardest test of all.

Threshold

Visit profile

7 years ago #137439

This is not to true.  The diversified nature of a portfolio is driven by the return correlation coefficient of the competing portfolio models.  For portfolio A: there will be no diversified benefit if the returns have a perfect positive correlation (1111 vs 1111) and maximum diversified benefit will be achieved when the returns have a perfect negative correlation (1111 vs -1-1-1-1).  However, to achieve portfolio returns which dominate all other portfolios, in terms of risk vs return, it would be necessary to include non-forex components in the portfolio.

I know I must be careful on this forum. I’ve probably said exactly what you just said many times before here, and I believe it strongly.

It was a blanket statement/generalized. In comparison to a portfolio that has Bonds, S&P, DAX, Gold, Copper, Oil, Nat gas, Coffee, Cattle, Soy, and a couple of currencies vs a portfolio of only FX pairs one definitely has an edge. Then use your example of non-correlated systems and put them into non-correlated assets and wow! Thats fucking good. If I were to put my money in a hedge fund I’d 101% pick the diversified futures fund every time. No body in the professional money management space would argue that.

I think you can mitigate a lot of correlation in FX by selecting a basket of maybe 6-8 pairs (excluding the long list of exotics) using the same system on all or alternatively (and more powerfully) by blending non-correlated systems across multiple pairs or even multiple non-correlated systems on 1 pair via (example) trend following and mean reversion. My Portfolio runs an EA Wizard Daily system on 7 pairs, then I have 4 SQ systems currently trading the H1 on a few separate pairs, so its a blend of both of the above examples. Its definitely low-correlation.

(For SQ) A pretty good starting 3 basket and my “default” is EURUSD GBPJPY AUDCAD. For this ‘first tier’ the systems don’t even matter. All rules are the same because the pairs have very low correlation already. Then for a ‘second tier’ I mix those currencies up again (and maybe even replace EUR with CHF)… Ex: USDCAD/AUDJPY/GBPCHF or AUDUSD/CADJPY/GBPCHF with slightly more careful system selection for correlation purposes here, but not overkill. The pairs again are not very correlated.
This is the current status I’m at with the new server is “tier 2”, besides the awaiting notepad full of manual patterns that need to be made in SQ4.

Threshold

Visit profile

7 years ago #137656

Seems like both strategies had pretty significant drawdown on the latest bullish move on the Dollar Index Mikeyc

mikeyc

Visit profile

7 years ago #137657

Seems like both strategies had pretty significant drawdown on the latest bullish move on the Dollar Index Mikeyc

Yep,

I have switched them both off now.

They won’t go back on till long after the EU referendum is a distant memory in everyone’s mind.

mikeyc

Visit profile

7 years ago #138584

I have enabled them again, since Britain isn’t really doing anything (no real Brexit).  With new settings they are clawing back their losses.

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

1 2