Not good for Futures

18 replies

dirkdiggler

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 12 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #115064

You really need to add some kind of session control in SQ.  Right now as it stands it’s pretty useless for futures trading if you want to create an intraday only strategy.  Adaptrade builder has great session control and it’s just two check boxes.  Can’t be too hard to implement.  See screenshot. 

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136661

Strategy Options
“Limit signals to time range”
“Exit at end of range”

dirkdiggler

Visit profile

7 years ago #136669

Exit at end of range is only for Metatrader. Which is not futures compatible or friendly. Limit signals to time range does nothing to exit a position by the end of a session. If you want to use this software to get funding from a program like TopStepTrader you cannot hold a position past the electronic close. And exit at end of day is also useless because it basically uses calendar day / midnight. They really should change this software to enable better futures/stocks session times support.

Threshold

Visit profile

7 years ago #136672

Test this if you have OHLC mt4 historical data to use- Build a strategy with exit at end of range (whatever that time may be).

Then before you export it to NT/TS manually edit its rules in SQ and add in exits the hour you want to exit (Hour = 15). Its the same thing.

Temporarily it may be a solution.

dirkdiggler

Visit profile

7 years ago #136673

Thanks.  But Adaptrade is much better for this as it’s a little more geared towards Futures.  It includes neural network functionality and can calculate nested indicators which is a cool feature.  AND best of all… Mike the guy that developed it actually has a published email address and responds within an hour or two.  Maybe if and when SQ4 comes out there will be some improvements. 

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136684

It is a real pity that Mark and his team didn’t continue fixing issues and adding small and easy feature release to SQ3, whilst at the same time developing SQ4.

I’ve stopped using SQ3 as it stands, and SQ4 still seems a long way off.

If Mark or anyone is interested I can produce a list of things that need fixing in SQ3 and adding that I don’t think are complex jobs to implement. It would keep the community here going even if a stable release of SQ4 is 12 months away.

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136685

@mikeyc

I m interested 

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136693

I hope that sq4 would be excellent we are waiting too long

Threshold

Visit profile

7 years ago #136713

Add Geektrader to team 🙂

Rom

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 29 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137012

You really need to add some kind of session control in SQ.  Right now as it stands it’s pretty useless for futures trading if you want to create an intraday only strategy.  Adaptrade builder has great session control and it’s just two check boxes.  Can’t be too hard to implement.  See screenshot. 

Do you use Adaptrade?  You are on this board so I assume you use SQ.  Would you mind in a few words compare the two?  I trade, or at least attempt to, trade futures and so far I am disappointed with SQ.

dirkdiggler

Visit profile

7 years ago #137020

Do you use Adaptrade?  You are on this board so I assume you use SQ.  Would you mind in a few words compare the two?  I trade, or at least attempt to, trade futures and so far I am disappointed with SQ.

Yes. I stopped using SQ a few months ago. They really need to focus more on fixing the problems in SQ and less on e-books and webinars and all the other nonsense they send out via email.  Both programs have their pros and cons.  But I do like Adaptrade a lot better overall.  SQ works faster but I have yet to generate a single profitable intraday strategy with it.  That’s not the case with adaptrade.  Adaptrade has neural network functionality and you can build the fitness function to your objectives.  It has a wide array of commonly used position sizing methods by real world money managers…not just % of equity like in SQ, which doesn’t work in Ninja anyway.  You can also evolve the position sizing method and quantity with risk of ruin calculation all built in, which is very important.  It also has a statistical t-test significance test which is commonly used by fund managers.  You can also get a hold of the support person at adaptrade via email directly.  Ultimately you can very easily over fit your systems in both adaptrade and SQ if you’re not careful and they could easily fall apart in real time.  Knowing the flaws of both pieces of software will keep you out of trouble.  But once you know the games, fraud and corruption that occurs in the spot forex market you will realize it’s not the place to be trading at all.  If you want to trade currency trade currency futures.  Futures are obviously highly regulated and not riddled with scam artists selling some magic forex system.  I’m beginning to think SQ may fall closer into that category.

mabi

Visit profile

7 years ago #137021

Adattrade has today better compability towards Ninjatrader, Tradestation . SQ better for metatrader but trading forex micro accounts is just a scam and more like a game and no way possible ever to make any money to live of by trading this.But it is a good way to learn the game. If you want to make real money to live on you would need to trade futures or atleast you are safer there since it is highly regulated. I read in one E book from this forum that they know someone that makes 200% per year on forex . That is ofcourse total bullshit and short lived since the risk you have to take to make that return will ultimately wipe you out.

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137022

Yes. I stopped using SQ a few months ago. They really need to focus more on fixing the problems in SQ and less on e-books and webinars and all the other nonsense they send out via email. 

Absolutely this.  Why they couldn’t have put one person on fixing issues with SQ3, whilst everyone else works on SQ4 I don’t understand.  There’s a handful of show stoppers in SQ3 that could have been fixed over the last 12 months by one developer.  SQ4 is a new codebase, so it’s not like changes in SQ3 affect the SQ4 code in any way, making it easy to fix and extend SQ3 whilst SQ4 goes on as planned.

One area SQ3 is lacking is money management / position sizing.  They could have added some new areas there. Every successful trader I have found uses position sizing in clever ways.

Since SQ4 still seems like a very long way from completion, it leaves everyone stranded.

I am not liking this spammy push for courses and such like, rings alarm bells with me.

Rom

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 29 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137031

Dirkdiggler,  I agree, the “webinar” was awful, reminiscent of some sales pitch to ignorants.  I have to admit that I did not have any success with SQ either.    Thank you for sharing your thoughts! 

mabi

Visit profile

7 years ago #137034

Dirkdiggler,  I agree, the “webinar” was awful, reminiscent of some sales pitch to ignorants.  I have to admit that I did not have any success with SQ either.    Thank you for sharing your thoughts! 

You can find profitable strategies for sure using SQ. Swingtrade systems . Intraday i find impossible not because of SQ but just impossible but that said it might be so that i do not know what i am doing . Neural network  as dirkdiggler was commenting on is cool and are infact used as a fuzzy logic to evaluate the entry point given by the strategy. I used that a lot for last 2 year manually building strategies in another awesome tool. It does unfortunately not help much and are usually in reality highly curve fitting . I also build alot of  multitimeframe strategies and here you can find an edge by to cleaning up market noise using a higher timeframe and that and the other features announced for SQ4 are actually a big reason i bought SQ after the trial period.It seems to me that SQ team is a really good team and SQ3 with all current addons is unmatched and of course just sitting and programming for perfection does not pay the bills. I am having to rebuild found strategies for use in Ninjatrader which was not my plan which piss me off sometimes especially when i cant make it work. 

Patrick

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 424 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137056

i dont know anyone who is using neural networks and is earning at Forex. But i do know it is possible to earn with SQ good money, even 200% yearly with risk money managment that will not blow your account. i know the one who did it. 

if you did not success yet, it does not matter other cannot as well.

about SQ4, i hope it will be at least as good as SQ3. it takes time, but still SQ3 is usable tool. 

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

1 2