Scalping Strategies

9 replies

Puller

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 28 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #115278

Hi

I know this might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but is there a way to generate scalping strategies with SQ?

Anyone had any luck with this?

Cheers

Leon

large.jpg

New investors wanted!

See  https://goo.gl/WnlJoN  for details.

Heilpraktiker

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 46 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137933

Hi

I know this might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but is there a way to generate scalping strategies with SQ?

Anyone had any luck with this?

Cheers

Leon

Hi Puller, what do you mean with scalping? My brother and me are developing strategies in 1M timeframe. They are trading 2-15 times a day. The most of these strategies are using 1M only for entry with small stops and let the positions run for hours and days. They are successfull, but have to be optimized all 4 weeks until WFM/WFO stop them.

Puller

Visit profile

7 years ago #137939

Hi – what I mean by scalping is only targeting a few pips per trade, having a small stop loss, very high win% and short trade duration.

You could target 3-5 pips and a stop of let’s say 7-8 pips as an example.

large.jpg

New investors wanted!

Heilpraktiker

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 46 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137960

Hi – what I mean by scalping is only targeting a few pips per trade, having a small stop loss, very high win% and short trade duration.

You could target 3-5 pips and a stop of let’s say 7-8 pips as an example.

This requires very small spread and slippage – thats the problem with those strategies. But this would interest me, too. Could anybody help?

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137967

Hello Puller,

where do you see benefits of such short term strategy? As already mentioned you will be fighting slippage and spread so you would really need the best CFD/forex broker out there. Also you need the highest quality data and testing precision. Small differences would have huge impact on strategy performance. There might be chance in futures markets but you still suffer from unrealistic order fills (especially for limit orders) and testing precision since SQ cannot test on tick data for futures currently

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #138168

Scalping is intriging but question is if it helps using tickdata. Below pitcure is a scalp strategy that have runned on market replay for 3 months ( 3 days) so far. Actually even the winners in these cases would be loosers if i just change the stop and targets with a couple of ticks. They are all on the same chart (ZB) with different targets and stops -+ 3-5 ticks ( typo).

Attachments in this forum are visible only to Customers.

Puller

Visit profile

7 years ago #138946

Hi

Sorry that I have not replied, I somehow missed the comments!

Hello Puller,

where do you see benefits of such short term strategy? As already mentioned you will be fighting slippage and spread so you would really need the best CFD/forex broker out there. Also you need the highest quality data and testing precision. Small differences would have huge impact on strategy performance. There might be chance in futures markets but you still suffer from unrealistic order fills (especially for limit orders) and testing precision since SQ cannot test on tick data for futures currently

I completely understand your point – 3-5 pips is probably not realistic and was only really used as an example. But let’s say I want to generate a strategy where my PF is 10-15 pips and my SL, for example purposes, is 20-25 – is that currently possible to do as I have not found a way? 

large.jpg

New investors wanted!

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #138952

Hello,

it should work even with such small values as PT and SL 27 pips. Look at the example setting

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #138964

Hi

Sorry that I have not replied, I somehow missed the comments!

I completely understand your point – 3-5 pips is probably not realistic and was only really used as an example. But let’s say I want to generate a strategy where my PF is 10-15 pips and my SL, for example purposes, is 20-25 – is that currently possible to do as I have not found a way? 

Part of the issue with creating good scalping strategies is the MetaTrader4 limitation of M1 bars being the lowest timeframe.  This means all indicator calculations are limited to once per minute.  In the HFT/Scalping world, 1 minute is far too long and calculations (for entry, exit and SL movements) are too infrequent.

If we had 1s and 5s bars, things would make a lot more sense.  You would need a fast PC, with low latency to the broker to minimise slippage too.

Puller

Visit profile

7 years ago #139022

Thanks for the replies.

large.jpg

New investors wanted!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)