NT7

5 replies

GuppyDRV

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 2 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #115637

Hello all,

I’m interested in using this application as it appears to fit some optimization needs that I have. I already trade using NT7 and have established strategies that I would like to further refine. Can I import these directly into StategyQuant? I use a few custom indicators, will this be an issue. There not elaborate a smoothed HA and a velocity indicator. 

Will this platform support the new and soon to be released NT8? I’m in the process of switching my trading over, progress and all.

Thanks for the help.

GuppyDRV

_Cujo

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 101 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #139674

SQ3 does work with NT7. It works great, actually.

However, you can not import strategies from NT to SQ. You could recreate it in SQ, then go from there.

I have asked a couple of times (once in the forum, once direct pm to Marc) if the new version, SQ4, will support NT8, but never received a reply.

At some point, someone will possibly link you to the NT7 to NT8 converter on the NT forums. It doesn’t work well with SQ.

SQ3 and NT7 work great together. My only niggle is I wish I could import data to SQ in native .ntd,instead of export text from NT to then import it to SQ.

The whole NT8 and SQ4 does make me a bit nervous, tbh… I have a variety of other programs I use with NT, and they have all either communicated transition time tables, or already in process, or have converted already. NT8 is still in beta, but it’s now release candidate.

I’m not sure what to do, and unable to plan my transition to NT8 until there’s an update. I have 3x NT liscences, and use it for both discretionary and automated. The only software I’m using more than SQ for NT is Bloodhound (which is excellent), SQ’s transition is a concern.

I guess it will be transitioned, but it’d be nice to have an idea of when.

But SQ for NT, setting all that aside – very, very highly recommended (take it as you will, from an internet stranger, but it makes me real money).

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #139684

I agree SQ strategies works in NT7. However not all types of strategies due to that we do not have minute resolution or the possibility to run tick resolution wile generating strategies or validating strategies in SQ using NT data.. This limits the types of strategies that can be generated and tested following SQ’s recommended  work flow for validating a strategy performance in the future. Also there is is an issue with session templates that is not handled with SQ and alot of other small problems that you have to learn to work around which takes some time. This is all said said to be fixed with the new release of SQ4.  Ninjatrader 8 is also to be supported in the future by SQ4 it is said which would greatly improve also the validation of strategies in Ninjatraders new backtest engine and new market replay features were the latter will be able to work like Birts addon for Metatrader i beleive but with fully multithread support for testing. So if  NT8 backtest new backtest engine is to be supported we should be able to se submillisecond data support which could greatly improve generation possibilities for Scalpers in SQ 4. 

GuppyDRV

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 2 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #139698

SQ3 does work with NT7. It works great, actually.

However, you can not import strategies from NT to SQ. You could recreate it in SQ, then go from there.

_Cujo

Thanks for the reply,

Sounds Like I would need to do complete rewrites in SQ which may or may not be possible depending on indicator compatibility. Is the SQ4 version going to allow a direct import from NT8?

Also, Mabi mentioned that granularity might be an issue such as with tick or second based charts any thoughts on this.

How do you use SQ3 presently?

You mentioned Bloodhound. I’ve taken a look but thought that it would be a time consuming task to learn their process. Do they offer any real benefits for strategy development beyond what NT8 might offer that make it worth learning? Do they have any additional Optimization or Walk Forward capabilities that make them indispensable for you. I trade with good consistency now but do a multi layered method of Walk Forward Analysis that is incredibly time consuming and restricts me from trading multiple contracts on multiple exchanges at one time. I’m trying to rectify this presently. Sort of my goal.

Thanks again for the help and feel free to ask back. I’m always willing to share ideas with other traders some of the greatest gains made have come through the sharing of ideas.

GuppyDRV

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #139699

You mentioned Bloodhound. I’ve taken a look but thought that it would be a time consuming task to learn their process. Do they offer any real benefits for strategy development beyond what NT8 might offer that make it worth learning? Do they have any additional Optimization or Walk Forward capabilities that make them indispensable for you. I trade with good consistency now but do a multi layered method of Walk Forward Analysis that is incredibly time consuming and restricts me from trading multiple contracts on multiple exchanges at one time. I’m trying to rectify this presently. Sort of my goal.

I use Bloodhound aswell. It is a tool to create strategies manually that are 10 times faster then doing them in NT8. However it currently does not work with NT8 either. Well almost no available addons or tool´s does  that will take a year or two  before evryone catched up i guess. So i will not use NT8 until they catched up. NT 8 is just a trading platform designed to execute trades and will not make you a better trader. SQ i designed to make Autotrading strategies that you will never be able to make your self but it takes some time to learn it aswell  🙂  

_Cujo

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 101 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #139777

Bloodhound and SQ are equally time consuming to learn. They’re both great tools, very powerful, both with a learning curve, but totally different.

They don’t do the same thing at all…depends on what you want to do. Sounds like Mabi and I do the same sort of thing – run SQ, while also using Bloodhound. I recently got Blackbird – very powerful, very nice, really good for programming stops and targets. Blows NT’s ATM away.

BUT, with Bloodhound and Blackbird, you need to have at least a basic idea of system you want to design. SQ is better in that regard. You can more or less set and forget SQ, and it’ll come up with strategies for you. SQ is more about a process or workflow.

Both great, but totally different…..

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)