Another Broker/Data Time Question – still confused…

2 replies

cereboy1

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 5 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #274455

Hi Everyone,
I’m sure you have seen this question 1000 times, but I am trying to figure out which broker(s) to use live and must admit I am confused by a number of things such as broker time, etc.  I have looked on the forum and read various things on the internet and often it is more confusing than helpful.  Even MQL5 has a comprehensive article on time and an included MQH file to print out all broker info, but I cannot figure out how to get it to show me the time information. If you can help it is greatly appreciated.

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/9926#example1

I have made a few EURUSD strategies that use “Friday Exit Time 2200” as the only part that has “time” involved. 

In the MT4 EA this is reflected as such 
-extern string FridayExitTime = “22:00”;

I am in the US on Chicago Time.

1st Question) 
If I leave 22:00 in the EA when running on MT4 with IG as my broker, it seems that it should be OKAY since 22:00 Friday will always be 22:00 Friday no matter what broker/timezone.
Is this correct?

2nd Question)
Right now in the US, the Sydney market is open, but I cannot trade it since IG is closed (am on demo yet).  The SQX backtested/cross-checked strategy uses Dukascopy data that presumably also contains data that from Sydney and Tokyo sessions (that I cannot trade) so it seems my strategy may have some problems when only able to use signals from the time period IG allows for trading. 

Is this correct and what can I do to properly use an EA that truly represents the SQX strategy built and tested data across all sessions?

3rd Question)
If #2 is correct and I can only trade when IG market is open by them is there a better way, should I use a different broker that allows all sessions (Sydney, Tokyo, London, NY)?

I appreciate your help for sure and will post to the forum as well. Up to now I have always discretely traded so getting the TIME part correct has never mattered.  Now I am perfectly confused even if forum has said build with data on same timezone as broker…how can I be certain the brokers time, DST, server time, etc.

Thanks,
-William

cereboy1

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 5 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #274475

So reading a little more, I am not less confused.  Attached images show ~1 day of data of SQX EURUSD as downloaded from Dukascopy and not shifted at all.

Versus shifted 1 hr (60min) to match the Broker data.

Last plot shows the difference in close prices of the adjusted data from both Dukascopy and IG.

I think this means, I need to clone the Dukascopy EURUSD data and +1 to it to match my broker.  Not sure yet what this means with DST, etc.

Hope the visual helps someone else in the future.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #274476

you need to clone your SQX data to match your broketimezone

in the MQL code is everything operated by the brokertime

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)