CPU core counting problem

5 replies

Filippo Cantore

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 3 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257940

Hi Mark,
I’m having a problem with a new server IBM x3850 x5, it have 4 CPUs e7-4870, so a total of 40 cores, and 80 threads. When i launch SQX and try to set all the threads it appears “total cores available 40” when it should be 80. I have just activated the virtualization and all the threads are working, tested by CPU-z benchmark. I have activated all the cores inside the bios settings, so is not a bios problem and actually all the core are tested with other software, by the way i’m running all this stuff over Windows Server 2016 Datacenter edition. So can you suggest a solution to enable all the threads inside your software?
I’m attaching the log file and some screenshot to prove what i’m talking about.
Waiting your answer as soon as possible.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257946

i would be curious to know the power consumption of such a system, running in full load 24 hours a day. From a few reviews, it would be around 600 – 650W

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257947

Java cant see more then one group as created by Windows when you have more then 60 threads. So with 80- threads you will have 2 groups of 40 threads and will have to run 2 SQx with affinity set to each group. Or you can turn of hyperthreading in bios and run 40 singel cores and now SQx will use all 40 cores.

Gianfranco

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 114 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257953

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257957

There is obviously a way around this but it is complicated and demands changes made in SQx. I have now seen evidence that a user have it running on 160 threads. Mark also know that it can be done i heard from third party.

SteveChou

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 40 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #271268

Dear mabi

Do you have any setting or article about over 64 threads thank you.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)