Futures – Trading with TradeStation, Trading 1 Symbol & 1 TimeFrame?

4 replies

Karish

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 443 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #266789

Futures – Trading with TradeStation, Trading 1 Symbol & 1 TimeFrame = Problem?

TradeStation is a great platform for Futures Trading,
I think there is a way to do so but me and other quants here confused..,

In MT4 atleast from my knowledge we got “Magic Number”,
So it does not matter what other algos are doing and if they are all trading the same symbol & timeframe they wont cause any issues between them selfs because of the different ID of the Magic Number, so 1 algo can BUY while the other can SELL and you will still have no issues,

While on TradeStation it is tricky to do so…,
Any one got any way to solve this thing is one wants to trade multiple strategies using the same Symbol and the Same TimeFrame?..

Thanks.!

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #266791

Hello,

I would discourage from trading multiple strategies per symbol when trading futures since it can be more pain than fun. It might be possible but the solution is complicated. You could solve partially by opening more than 1 futures account, split your money between brokers but treat them as “one stack” meaning you will relate your risk to your total trading capital being acc1 + acc2 + acc3 …. with US futures you can move your money between them in matter of hours. I do it myself with no issues … The advantage for this is you won’t have all your money at a single brokerage house in case they go belly up or change their policy significantly. Data fees won’t matter since with CME for 3 bucks you get top-of-book tick by tick data for all 4 exchanges. Platform fees are zero mostly if you really trade …

Karish

Visit profile

3 years ago #266792

How about using MT5 with Futures? are there any benefits?, MT5 can use MagicNumbers right?
Any experience?

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #266793

As an example you can have 10,000 USD split into 3 chunks for 3 brokers (3,333).  This way you can trade 3 strategies for each symbol. Each strategy would still consider the capital being 10,000 and risk accordingly. That’s what we have generous futures margins for … 🙂

Another small disadvantage here … you should not have 2 opposing positions for the same market at 2 different futures brokers (kind of hedging) at the same time.

There is some exchange rule that prohibits this but it is not a difficult thing to resolve with your strategies …

Karish

Visit profile

3 years ago #266794

I see, Anything about MT5 in comparison with TS? though?..

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)