How to trade on daily candles but execute trades 1 minute before market close?

0 replies

Chris

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 6 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #271561

So, for US stock market trade hours (M-F 9:30am – 4:00pm EST), I can easily use daily candles, and any strats generated will potentially generate a trade signal at the close of a daily candle (4pm). The problem I’m having is that, since the market is now closed when the trade is generated, that the strat doesn’t execute the trade until 9:30am the next trading day.

What I’m really after is, since the strat is making a decision at the end of the trading day (the close of the daily candle), I’d like the trade price in SQX to be the price at the end of the trade day, not the following morning.

In Multicharts I accomplish this by basically looking at an “incomplete” last daily candle, and build it myself at 3:59pm. If that incomplete daily candle (9:30am – 3:59pm) generates a trade signal, then execute it at 3:59pm, before the market closes.

In SQX, enabling “Exit at End of Day” under Trade Options doesn’t work, as while it correctly uses the daily candle close price, it also forces an exit at the end of EVERY day.

Any ideas how to get SQX to either:

1) Use the close price of the daily candle when a trade is generated, instead of the open price of the following daily candle;

OR

2) Using Sessions or something else, have SQX build daily candles (like from M1 candles) that use M1 data from 9:30am – 3:59pm, and then if a trade is generated, execute that trade at 3:59pm.

Basically, how to tell SQX to trade on daily candles, execute any trade signals at the END of the day that generates the signal, and not force exiting positions at the end of EVERY day?

Thanks in advance!