I am currently building a workflow for successful forex strategies. Join me!

47 replies

AlgotradingDE

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 30 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #277576

I’ve been using StrategyQuant for more than a decade, but believe it or not, I haven’t even used its full capabilities until now.

My process is to create thousands of strategies in the builder and then run them through a very selective robustness check. The (few) surviving strategies are then activated on an MT4 demo account, where they must execute at least 25 trades before I consider them for use on a live account.

So far, I am very happy with this process and would like to automate more of the production of successful systems. That’s why I’ve been diving into the custom project features that can be used to create custom workflows.

While I am building some sample workflows for successful forex strategies, I would be happy if anyone on this forum is interested in the same and willing to share their experiences.

Especially, I would be interested to know if anyone has ever started such a project on their own?

Gerhard Frischholz
https://Algotrading.de

Massimo Scapini

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 44 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #280394

Hello,

I am using the attached workflow, which has a quite extensive set of tests. The final success is highly variable depending on the market (e.g cor A

It also used external config files that you can either change either manually or randomly with a very simple external

Massimo Scapini

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 44 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #280396

Hello,

I am using the attached workflow, which has a quite extensive set of tests. The final success is highly variable depending on the market (e.g for EURUSD just one workflow cycle can be enough, while for certain  Indexes or currencies it can take tenths or even a hundred of cycles)

It also uses an external config file that you can change either manually or randomly with a very simple external .bat file, in order to change the building config at every building cycle.

For the strategies the pass the whole workflow, I follow this approach:

1. Sequential optimization with wide range of variability (+/- 80%, 10 steps) of the whole set of parameters (excluding booleans and not used exit conditions). This is to capture high level the set of parameters that best adapts to the whole set of data
-2. WFM of the outcome of step 1 using a smaller variability (+/- 50%, 6 steps) of the suggested set of parameters. This is to re-check the strategies’ robustness and get the new optimal set of parameters for the last checks and go-live.
Then I use a weighted criteria to evauate the overall quality, that is based basically on
– profitability
– stability
– wfm robustness
Then I backtest the strategies in MT4, remove those that do not have a good match, pick up the best strategies for each cluster (e.g. EURUSD, Other Forex, US Indexes, GOLD, …) and put them on a demo live account.
I finally chose those that perform consistently and build a portfolio of 10-15 strategies to go live (I am currently at this stage)
Currently, the overall success ratio is around 1/1000000, i.e. 1 promising strategy out of 1000000 strategies generated by the  builder (seems a lot but I am currently using very loose conditions for the builder, just Profict factor > 1.2 for IS and 1st OOS periods, since I prefer to filter afterward in order to be more flexible).
For those who are interested, I can provide further details
BR
Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

kurt

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 1 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #280552

Just a thought slighty off subject , but instead of allowing the app to run generating lots of random  strategies with various long short entry crietera

Would it first not be a good idea to say like i am going to build breakout only stratgies, then i will go into the algowizard and construct a base to work off based around the breakout style

so for instance  if we are building on XAUUSD , where it tends to be baised towards  breakouts, and has big moves we could capture on say 30m, 1 hour TF

we are then using the software to generate thousands of combinations of a specfic trading strategies based around the style , for a specfic symbol

Viewing 3 replies - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)

1 2 3 4