Not logged in
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

Forums>StrategyQuant>General Discussion>Machine vs VPS vs Dedicated Server for SQ X

• #238133|
    Ilya
    Customer
    101 Posts

If we say 0.20 Eurocent per kilowatt hour you can easily add 500€ per year with a 500Watt power supply

Hi Marcel, you’re theoretically right with the calculation assuming those numbers, but I fail to see why would a workstation use 500Watt every hour? a 500Watt power supply just means that the maximal load power supply is around 300 Watt, and an idle state is around 100. So even if you are generating strategies with all threads 24 hours, 30 days a month, you get only 60% of the price you indicated, under your assumptions, at maximum..

Though it’s a very rough calculation, I’ve now been running SQX 24/7 on all threads for a month since I got my new system, which is not top of the line but it’s loaded with 2 octa core Xeons (32 threads), SSD drives and 128 GB DDR3 RAM, and my monthly bill (Living in Croatia) had risen by 8 euro.. (Again, very rough as it includes my usage of everything else in the house, but anyway far from a drastic change)

Ilya

Customer
    61 Posts

About latency…if one is trading scalping strategies that its very important to have a small latency. With end of day systems and a large every trade this is less important. With contabo servers are located in Germany and latency will be probably too big for scalping strategies.

I am very happy fxvm.net . If I recally correctly they have latency reports on their website to different brokers.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.