Machine vs VPS vs Dedicated Server for SQ X

19 replies

Ilya

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 105 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236855

Hi,

I have basically 3 options at the moment:

– I can get a machine (Workstation) with 2 X Intel Xeons 2.60GHZ E5-2670 Octa Core (So 32 threads overall), 64gb DDR 3 ECC RAM with an SSD drive for around 1000$.

– I can get a VPS on contabo with 10 cores (20 threads, E5-2620v3, E5-2630v4 or 4114 processor) with 64GB ram & SSD for around 30 euro/month.

– I can get a Hetzner dedicated server with a AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8 cores 16 threads) and 64GB DDR4 ram & SSD for around 70 euro/month.

What do you guys think would be the best cost/performance decision?

Thanks

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236864

for generating strategies is by my opinion best own machine – on VPS you cant fire 100% load for a long time, resources are shared, they will cut you off. Dedicated server is maybe the way, but imagine that you will be working with SQX on remote desktop – so there will be lagging, nothing for me

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236865

contabo vps are bullshits especially for machine learning

Rick Liao

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 5 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236866

I think the first option would be the best choice.

Ilya

Visit profile

5 years ago #236874

Thanks for the reply folks. The machine has been ordered, will have it in a few days, to start rocking on SQ X.

Ilya

Mario Gordon

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 0 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #238097

Hey guys, I just look into contabo, is it good option to install MT4 on that VPS server? Do you have any recommendation?

Ilya

Visit profile

5 years ago #238100

I’m using Hetzner and it has been very smooth.

Mario Gordon

Visit profile

5 years ago #238106

Thank you for your recommendation

Schutten

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 52 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #238108

I am a longtime user of contado dedicated machines as well as vps. Vps is not for datamining, just too slow because of limited resources I agree.

For trading a vps is good, however it also depends on the latency from the vps to the broker exchange.

Mario Gordon

Visit profile

5 years ago #238111

Thanks @Shutten for your recommendation. How could check the latency to my broker? is there a software for that?

And additional to this, which Windows server do you recommend to install on the VPS windows server 2016 or 2012?

Have you ever tried MT4 on linux server?

Marcel

Customer, bbp_participant, 55 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #238117

I completely disagree with what is written here, or do I see it quite differently.

If you set up a workstation at home, you have to add the CURRENT COSTS and MAINTENANCE COSTS to the acquisition costs. If we say 0.20 Eurocent per kilowatt hour you can easily add 500€ per year with a 500Watt power supply. Furthermore, I don’t know why you claim to be terminated by your VPS provider (or deducted server provider) if you permanently run out of servers. I’m at NETCUP and have no problem with that so far. In total you have to compare the hardware purchase costs + maintenance costs (e.g. repair costs) + maintenance costs (e.g. electricity) with the fixed costs of a VPS or dedicated server and almost always the VPS (or dedicated server) is the better choice.

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #238121

You need to have as much CPU power as possible or You will never get anything done. Capacity of the best VPS i found is about 10 % at best in comparison with my home unit. So in 10 days i can do as much as with 100 days on a VPS. 500 Euro for power is about 10 times to much.

Marcel

Visit profile

5 years ago #238125

@Mabi:

This is a really bad joke. I don’t know in which country you live, in which you pay ONLY 10 cents per kilowatt hour, but 60 fully loaded threats don’t just consume 300 watts when they work around the clock !!!!
A 300 Watt power supply can never provide such a PC with enough power!
What about the maintenance costs? Or does nothing ever break at your workstation although it works day and night? You must show me this magic PC and this magic land 🙂

Marcel

Visit profile

5 years ago #238126

@Mabi: I see you’ve changed your text… probably for a very good reason. But what you’re writing now is also a guess, because I don’t have this problem on my root servers.

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #238127

Well You have to have a computer to watch the VPS with  as well right.  I have many VPS (4) plus a dedicated remote server  but not for generating strategies . My most energy hungry server with 80 threads seems only to use 250 watt max load and the other 80threader about 220 watt.  Where I am the average cost is 0.07 euro. So it is about 140 euro per unit/ year then.

Ilya

Visit profile

5 years ago #238133

If we say 0.20 Eurocent per kilowatt hour you can easily add 500€ per year with a 500Watt power supply

Hi Marcel, you’re theoretically right with the calculation assuming those numbers, but I fail to see why would a workstation use 500Watt every hour? a 500Watt power supply just means that the maximal load power supply is around 300 Watt, and an idle state is around 100. So even if you are generating strategies with all threads 24 hours, 30 days a month, you get only 60% of the price you indicated, under your assumptions, at maximum..

Though it’s a very rough calculation, I’ve now been running SQX 24/7 on all threads for a month since I got my new system, which is not top of the line but it’s loaded with 2 octa core Xeons (32 threads), SSD drives and 128 GB DDR3 RAM, and my monthly bill (Living in Croatia) had risen by 8 euro.. (Again, very rough as it includes my usage of everything else in the house, but anyway far from a drastic change)

Ilya

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

1 2