MT5 backtest results not matching

2 replies

Saskie

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #280104

Hi,

I am using SQX during the 14 days trial, and I am thinking of buying it, but I am concerned because I spent countless hours trying to get similar backtest results in MT5 and SQX without any success. It’s always very different, whatever I try.

I tried with many timezones (starting with the server timezone, and then trying many others), many timeframes (daily, h4, h1), many bar data and tick data sources, many generated strategies with different S/L options and building blocks (and also very simple strategies). After 2 or 3 complete days trying to make it work, I don’t have any more ideas (and patience). I noticed that the swap makes a difference, but it seems to be mainly a timezone problem.

I’d like to know if you offer a service to help configure SQX remotely (like in Chrome Remote Desktop) on the user computer? Like configuring a basic strategy to match with my MT5 installation and my specific broker and make sure the backtests matches on both side. Or if you don’t offer this service remotely, do you have any other way to help getting started properly?

Thanks!

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #280172

Hi,

if your backtest differs then the most probable reason is a different trading option or different data used. The best way to test using the same data is to create a custom symbol in MT5 and load the data used to develop the strategy into that. Check https://strategyquant.com/doc/quantdatamanager/how-to-import-data-to-metatrader-5/

For further information and tips on reliable MetaTrader testing please visit https://strategyquant.com/doc/strategyquant/reliable-backtesting-in-metatrader/

If you still struggle let us know to our [email protected] email, we will figure out what is wrong with your setup

Saskie

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #280188

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I’ve already tested importing the same data in MT5, but it didn’t help. I think I am mainly confused with timezones. I am not sure if I am using the good one in SQX.

My broker is Fusion Markets, it says on their website that they are using GMT+3

What is the time zone shown in the MT4/MT5 Terminal
The Fusion Markets platform currently operates using ‘New York Close’ charts, which is GMT+3.

Right now the time displayed the MT5 market watch is 18:39 and the UTC time (from this Website) is 16:39, so if I understand correctly and if UTC and GMT are the same timezones, the UTC should be UTC+2.

I am not sure if I should use UTC+2 or UTC+3 when converting Dukascopy Data from UTC to my broker timezone. I am currently trying with UTC+2, can you confirm if it’s the correct timezone?

I also tried using my brokers M1 data in SQX, but the history data period is too short to get reliable backtests.

Thanks!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)